Nissan Motor Co might slow a planned ramp-up of electric vehicles (EVs) made in the US after halting output at a joint venture in Mexico, signaling unease about energy and trade policies under US President Donald Trump’s second administration.
The start date and production levels for battery-powered cars to be manufactured at a plant in Canton, Mississippi, would depend in large part on whether Trump and the Republican US Congress follow through on vows to scrap a US$7,500 tax credit and other incentives for EV buyers and makers, Nissan chief planning officer for operations in the Americas Ponz Pandikuthira said.
“If they pull back on the US$7,500 credit, we know the rate of adoption is going to slow,” Pandikuthira said in an interview. “We certainly don’t want to be in a position of building models there’s no demand for.”
Photo: Bloomberg
The carmaker previously said it plans to produce four all-new EVs at the Mississippi factory starting in 2028, but Pandikuthira said Nissan would be ready for production of those vehicles as soon as 2027. However, it might slow-walk the EV start-up and limit volumes in favor of boosting output of increasingly popular gas-electric hybrids, including plug-in models, to be built at its plant in Smyrna, Tennessee.
“We’re staying closely tuned to what happens with regulations,” Pandikuthira said. “We can decide which ones to ramp up and which ones to slow down.”
Nissan is to cancel two Infiniti cars, the gas-powered QX50 and QX55 compact crossovers, as of December in an effort to revamp its ailing premium brand, the carmaker said. They are the only Nissan vehicles made at the Mexican plant it co-owns with Mercedes-Benz Group AG.
The decision was based on low demand for the two older models, Pandikuthira said, adding that Nissan has no plans to cut or shift output at its other facilities in Mexico that make vehicles such as the Kicks subcompact and Sentra compact sedan.
The end of Infiniti’s production in the country follows Trump’s threats to impose a 25 percent tariff hike on Mexico and Canada that could damage sales of vehicles they export to the US.
Nissan is planning as many as 2,000 job cuts in the US this year, a local Japanese media report said on Saturday.
By closing production lines at its plants in Tennessee and Mississippi, it aims to reduce US output by about 25 percent, the report said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his