Heading into the World Economic Forum, the thinking was it would be the perfect place for many of the biggest deals in the works among Europe’s lenders to inch their way into existence.
There was Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria SA’s (BBVA) takeover offer for its smaller rival, Banco de Sabadell SA, for instance. Or UniCredit SpA’s bid for its domestic competitor Banco BPM SpA and its growing interest in Germany’s Commerzbank AG.
For months, those deals have faced resistance from either the target or other stakeholders, including governments. The hope was they might finally come around at Davos, known for its ability to get CEOs in a room together to hash out their differences.
.Photo: Stefan Wermuth, Bloomberg
That was not quite what happened.
Instead, Commerzbank CEO Bettina Orlopp ratcheted up her rhetoric against UniCredit — labeling the lender’s recent overtures “hostile” in a clear escalation of her defense against the unwanted deal. The German government, which holds a 12 percent stake in the bank, said something similar. Meanwhile, Sabadell said it was considering moving its legal domicile back to Catalonia, as it seeks to muster political support to help it fight against BBVA’s bid.
On Friday came the shock announcement that Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA would seek to acquire its bigger rival, Mediobanca SpA, adding to the flurry of complicated takeover talks. Mediobanca said it considers the approach as hostile and would likely end up rejecting it.
It all underscored the fact that even after years of waiting, European banks and their governments are still resisting the urge to consolidate faster.
That is despite increasing calls from regulators, dealmakers and governments that more radical combinations are needed so Europe’s lenders can become the behemoths they need to be to finance the growth the continent needs.
“Europe needs to decide: Does it want banks which are a utility or a force of capitalism?” Lombard Odier senior managing partner Hubert Keller said.
Just hours before the Orlopp’s announcement on Wednesday, she was spotted wandering through the icy streets of Europe’s highest city and having lunch at a small eatery with her communications chief.
UniCredit CEO Andrea Orcel said that there had been various meetings with the German government and Commerzbank executives before his bank took control of about 28 percent of Commerzbank.
“Commerzbank was the first call we had in the morning to debrief” after the Italian lender acquired a large stake last year, he said in an interview with Bloomberg TV anchor Francine Lacqua. “From there, it moved to surprise. Well, imagine ours. And then it moved to hostility or to opaqueness.”
BBVA chairman Carlos Torres was seen running up Davos’ main drag.
Hundreds of miles away, Sabadell said its board would begin meeting to discuss the possible headquarters move, as it seeks to muster political support to help it fight against the hostile bid.
Over at the confab’s annual meeting, Banco Santander SA chair Ana Botin faced a series of questions about whether she would ever consider selling her business in the UK, where headaches have begun to pile up, as the bank braces for a potentially costly review into its motor finance business.
“We love the UK,” Botin said. “It’s a core market and will remain a core market for Santander. That’s it.”
Lenders’ resistance to do deals has come even as a growing chorus of regulators are supportive of cross-border banking mergers across Europe. European Central Bank President Christine Lagarde has said such deals would be good for the region if it allows lenders to better compete against their rivals in the US and China.
“The good thing is that we identified the issue which is the competitiveness of Europe,” Intesa Sanpaolo SpA chief financial officer Luca Bocca said, adding that cross-border deals will be difficult to execute. “There needs to be flexibility that accounts for regional structural differences.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort