Meta chief executive officer Mark Zuckerberg on Friday said the tech giant plans to invest at least US$60 billion in artificial intelligence (AI) this year, aiming to lead in the technology.
“This will be a defining year for AI,” Zuckerberg wrote on Facebook.
Zuckerberg expects Meta AI to be the top digital assistant, used by more than a billion people, and for the tech firm’s Llama 4 to be at the forefront of AI models, he wrote.
Photo: AFP
Meta is creating an AI “engineer” to contribute computer coding to its research and development efforts, he added.
Meta would construct a massive new datacenter to power its AI ambitions and is planning US$60 billion to US$65 billion in capital expenditures this year related to the technology, Zuckerberg said.
“This is a massive effort, and over the coming years it will drive our core products and business, unlock historic innovation and extend American technology leadership,” he said.
The announcement comes just days after US President Donald Trump announced a major investment to build infrastructure for AI led by Japanese giant Softbank and ChatGPT maker OpenAI.
Trump said the venture, called Stargate, “will invest US$500 billion, at least, in AI infrastructure in the United States.”
However, in a post on his social media platform X, Trump ally and tech tycoon Elon Musk said the main investors “don’t actually have the money.”
The comment marked a rare instance of a split between the world’s richest man and Trump, with Musk playing a key role in the newly installed administration after spending US$270 million on the election campaign.
Meanwhile, Microsoft president Brad Smith has gone on record saying the company was on pace this fiscal year to invest about US$80 billion to build out AI datacenters, train AI models and deploy cloud-based applications around the world.
“The United States is poised to stand at the forefront of this new technology wave, especially if it doubles down on its strengths and effectively partners internationally,” Smith wrote online.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort