Oil headed for the first weekly decline this year after US President Donald Trump raised the prospect of trade wars, and said he would ask Saudi Arabia and OPEC to lower prices in the first few days of his new administration.
Brent traded near US$78 a barrel and is down more than 3 percent this week, while West Texas Intermediate was above US$74.
Trump’s first week in the White House began with tariff threats on Canada, Mexico and China, followed by a pledge that he would ask the producer group to “bring down the cost of oil.”
Photo: Reuters
On Thursday, Trump said that he would rather not have to use tariffs on China.
He made the remarks during an interview on Fox News, adding that he would also reach out to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
That has helped put futures on track for the biggest weekly loss since November last year, although prices are still higher this year after a cold northern hemisphere winter drove up heating demand and US sanctions on Russia upended crude markets.
Trump has threatened more penalties on Moscow if Russian President Vladimir Putin does not “make a deal” to end the war in Ukraine.
The broad US sanctions that were implemented in the final days of the administration of former US president Joe Biden tightened the flow of Russian oil and increased prices of other physical barrels from the Middle East.
That has led to some Asian refiners lowering crude processing rates or considering cuts.
“It will be no easy task to convince OPEC to increase output,” said Warren Patterson, the head of commodities strategy for ING Groep NV in Singapore. “Furthermore, lower oil prices would also be an obstacle to significantly increasing US oil production.”
One of Trump’s executive orders this week was to declare a national energy emergency to help boost domestic production.
Meanwhile, US crude stockpiles declined for a ninth consecutive week, the US Energy Information Administration said in a report on Thursday.
Inventories were lower than the five-year seasonal average for this time of the year and went against an earlier industry report that estimated a build.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort