Netflix Inc on Tuesday said that it added nearly 19 million subscribers during the holiday season to finish last year with more than 300 million.
Company executives credited steady investments in shows and movies with helping power growth at the streaming behemoth, while announcing it is increasing prices in Argentina, Canada, Portugal and the US.
“As we continue to invest in programming and deliver more value for our members, we will occasionally ask our members to pay a little more so that we can reinvest to further improve Netflix,” the company said in a letter to investors.
Photo: Reuters
Premium and standard memberships in the US are to cost US$2 more per month, US$25 and US$18 respectively, while a standard ad-supported tier would be US$8, an increase of US$1, the company said.
In the final quarter of last year, the streaming juggernaut said it logged profit of US$1.87 billion on revenue of US$10.25 billion that grew double digits from the same period the previous year.
Netflix shares jumped more than 14 percent to top US$993 in after-market trading.
“We enter 2025 with strong momentum, coming off a year with record net additions — 41 million — and having reaccelerated growth,” Netflix executives told investors.
They added that Netflix is in a “leadership position” when it comes to engagement, with about two hours daily per paid member.
“Our business remains intensely competitive with many formidable competitors across traditional entertainment and big tech,” Netflix executives said.
Netflix ended last year with a strong lineup that included a second season of the global hit Squid Game, the hit movie Carry-On, and the boxing match between Jake Paul and Mike Tyson.
Netflix forecast revenue this year of between US$43.5 billion and US$44.5 billion, and is targeting a healthy 29 percent operating margin.
Netflix shares have gained 80 percent over the past year, significantly outperforming the S&P 500.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he