The Office of the US Trade Representative on Thursday said that its probe into China’s practices in the shipbuilding, maritime and logistics sectors found that Beijing’s undermining of fair competition warranted “urgent action.”
The conclusion comes after the office launched an investigation last year, responding to a petition by five unions.
“Beijing’s targeted dominance of these sectors undermines fair, market-oriented competition, increases economic security risks and is the greatest barrier to revitalization of US industries,” US Trade Representative Katherine Tai (戴琪) said in a statement.
Photo: AFP
The findings, under Section 301 of the Trade Act, “set the stage for urgent action to invest in America and strengthen our supply chains,” Tai added.
The Chinese Ministry of Commerce hit back yesterday, saying it was “strongly dissatisfied and firmly opposes” the probe, and that its conclusions were “full of false accusations against China.”
A Section 301 investigation was a key tool US president-elect Donald Trump’s first administration used to justify tariff hikes on Chinese goods.
Tai on Thursday said that the US builds fewer than five ships each year — a sharp decline from in the 1970s — while China builds more than 1,700.
The investigation found China’s efforts to dominate the sector “unreasonable,” as they displace foreign firms and create dependencies on the world’s second-biggest economy.
The office said that Beijing also has “extraordinary control over its economic actors and these sectors.”
In its response, the Chinese ministry said that “historically, the decline of the US shipbuilding industry has had nothing to do with China.”
“China’s shipping market has always been open to the world and has never adopted discriminatory policies against foreign ships and foreign companies,” it said in a statement. “China’s industrial policy is mainly guiding rather than mandatory, and treats Chinese and foreign companies equally.”
“The US’ 301 investigation is based on domestic political needs and the aim to suppress China’s development,” the ministry said.
A decision on what actions to take would be considered in the next stage of the US probe.
Meanwhile, Alliance for American Manufacturing president Scott Paul on Thursday applauded the pursuit of the investigation.
“Failing to take decisive action will leave our shipbuilding capabilities at the mercy of Beijing’s persistent predatory market distortions,” Paul said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his