China Vanke Co (萬科) rebounded from record lows in credit markets, as people familiar with the matter said the distressed developer had previously told some creditors it had enough cash prepared to repay a local note.
The firm told some creditors prior to turbulence in its bonds and shares yesterday that it had prepared enough cash to repay a 3 billion yuan (US$409.3 million) bond due on Jan. 27, the people said.
Uncertainty continued to swirl about the whereabouts of the company’s top executive following an earlier local news report that the property developer might be seized by state authorities.
Photo: Bloomberg
The builder’s bonds erased losses in the afternoon in Hong Kong, with its US dollar note due in May jumping US$0.066 to US$0.665 and its securities due 2027 rising about US$0.04 from record lows earlier in the day. Trading in three local bonds was halted after prices surged about 20 percent. The company’s shares were down 4.5 percent, paring losses after earlier tumbling as much as 9 percent in Hong Kong to the lowest since September last year.
Vanke CEO Zhu Jiusheng earlier answered a call from a Cailian reporter, several hours after the Economic Observer reported he had been taken away by police. The report was later deleted from the Chinese newspaper’s Web site. Further fueling uncertainty, Zhu promoted Vanke’s rental apartment business in a post on WeChat early yesterday.
Distress has deepened in recent weeks at the builder, a household name in China that had long been seen as more insulated from property crises, because of its state backing through its largest shareholder, Shenzhen Metro Group Co (深圳市地鐵集團). Vanke’s long-term corporate family rating was downgraded deeper into junk territory earlier in the day to B3 from B1 at Moody’s.
Vanke has been in the spotlight since the start of the year, as it faces a wall of debt repayments. The company’s home sales have been tanking, despite a flurry of support for the property market last year. The firm was once seen as too big to fail. However, Beijing has yet to signal its stance toward the property giant as the property crisis enters its fifth year after sparking record defaults.
The Economic Observer also reported that a task force sent by the local government of Shenzhen — where the developer is based — had stepped in to run the company and that Vanke might be taken over or restructured. The article also was later deleted from the newspaper’s Web site.
“China Vanke’s possible state takeover — including its CEO’s detention, as reported by the Economic Observer — signals new urgency in a drawn-out and costly property crisis that has shaken the country’s economy,” Bloomberg Intelligence analyst Kristy Hung said.
“Up next could be a management shake-up and a push to protect homeowners over bondholders, with a bailout and cash injection both less likely,” Hung said.
Vanke did not immediately offer comments when contacted by Bloomberg News.
The developer has US$4.9 billion in yuan and US dollar-denominated bonds maturing or facing redemption options this year, its highest annual amount ever, and the most for any Chinese developer this year, Bloomberg data showed. Trading in the company’s yuan bond maturing in November 2027 was halted after it plunged 32 percent, following similar actions on other securities in recent days.
Vanke has said it would make all efforts to deal with its public debt obligations this year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his