Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), a major chip supplier to Nvidia Corp, would no longer be restricted from investing in next-generation 2-nanometer chip production in the US, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday.
However, the ministry added that the world’s biggest contract chipmaker would not be making any reckless decisions, given the weight of its up to US$30 billion investment.
To safeguard Taiwan’s chip technology advantages, the government has barred local chipmakers from making chips using more advanced technologies at their overseas factories, in China particularly.
Photo: CNA
Chipmakers were previously only allowed to produce chips using less advanced technologies, specifically those that were at least two generations less advanced than those being used domestically, it said.
“Those were old-time rules. Times have changed,” Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said on the sidelines of a ministry media briefing yesterday.
“Private businesses should make their own business decisions based on their own technological progress,” Kuo said.
“The basic principle is that businesses can make profits from their overseas investments,” Kuo said. “TSMC is building factories in the US with the aim of serving its US customers, as 60 percent of the world’s chip-designing companies are based in the US.”
TSMC would “cautiously” evaluate the possibility of investing in building a 2-nanometer fab in the US, which would cost US$28 billion to US$30 billion, Kuo said, adding that TSMC would not yield under pressure from the incoming US government, or rush to build such an advanced chip manufacturing fab in the US.
TSMC has said its second fab in Arizona would produce chips using 2-nanometer and 3-nanometer technology in 2028, after the first fab begins production of 4-nanometer technology in the first half of this year.
The third fab would produce chips using 2-nanometer or more advanced processes, with production beginning by the end of the decade. The investment in Arizona would surpass US$65 billion, it said.
The ministry’s top priority this year is to build a global semiconductor supply chain in collaboration with the US, Germany, Japan and the Philippines, Kuo said.
In Japan, the ministry plans to create an office in Fukuoka, which is about a two-hour drive from Kumamoto, where TSMC is building two chip factories, to assist local semiconductor-related companies in setting up operations in Japan, Kuo said.
The ministry is set to sign an agreement with a private organization on behalf of the Japanese government in the first quarter or second quarter to safeguard Taiwanese companies’ interests, he said.
Commenting on the impact of possible changes in US trade policy, Kuo said the new tariffs proposed by US president-elect Donald Trump would have a relatively minor impact on Taiwanese exporters and export orders, given their strong technological capabilities.
Export orders this year might grow compared with last year, particularly as local companies benefit from the US-China trade row, he said, adding that domestic manufacturers are replacing their Chinese counterparts in supplying goods to US companies, while also allocating more production back to Taiwan, he said.
“Trump will only be in office for four years and can’t run for another term so his impact will be limited,” Kuo said.
Additional reporting by Bloomberg
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his