The Ministry of Economic Affairs yesterday said certain local industries should position themselves for the effects of the incoming US administration after a report said that US president-elect Donald Trump was considering declaring a national economic emergency to provide a legal ground for his tariff plans.
A CNN report on Wednesday said that Trump was mulling levying new tariffs on all imported goods from allies and adversaries by using the International Economic Emergency Powers Act, which authorizes a president to manage imports during a national emergency.
The news renewed a sense of uncertainty on trading floors across Asia yesterday, with the TAIEX in Taipei sinking 1.39 percent, while other regional markets such as Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney, Wellington, Mumbai and Bangkok also moved lower.
Photo courtesy of the Executive Yuan
Deputy Minister of Economic Affairs Ho Chin-tsang (何晉滄) at a news conference after the regular Cabinet meeting yesterday said the possible implementation of new tariffs by the incoming Trump administration might have an impact on Taiwan’s information and communications technology sector, as well as automobile industries.
“We are currently discussing contingency responses with relevant trade associations,” Ho said.
The ministry’s preliminary understanding is that Trump’s potential national economic emergency declaration could mainly affect Taiwan’s auto parts, high-end servers, laptops and desktops destined for the US market, compared with other products, he said.
The ministry has been in close contact with firms and trade associations in the two industries and would discuss the details with industry players after the new US government officially announces the content of its policy, Ho said.
The ministry would also discuss with trade associations to assist firms willing to invest in the US to address the tariff issue, he said.
Following the US presidential election on Nov. 5 last year, Vice Premier Cheng Li-chun (鄭麗君) has headed a task force in charge of trade and technology exchanges with the new US administration.
Cabinet spokesperson Michelle Lee (李慧芝) at yesterday’s news conference said that the task force still holds meetings on a regular basis and would unveil more details about its responses after Trump takes office on Jan. 20.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his