China is to subsidize more consumer products and boost funding for industrial equipment upgrades, ramping up a program to bolster domestic consumption in the face of growing headwinds for exports.
Consumers would qualify for a 15 percent subsidy for buying new mobile phones, tablets and smartwatches under 6,000 yuan (US$818) this year, according to an official notice published yesterday by the Chinese National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) and the Chinese Ministry of Finance. The benefit is capped at 500 yuan for up to one device in each category.
The authorities would also expand the types of home appliances eligible for state support to 12 from eight last year to include products such as dishwashers and rice cookers, the notice said.
Photo: EPA-EFE
The two other new consumer goods covered by the initiative this year are microwaves and water purifiers. Consumers would also get more cash compensation from the government for spending on decoration materials to refurbish homes, the notice said.
China has made boosting consumption a higher priority this year as it looks to fight deflation amid subdued household and business confidence. Exports as a growth engine might also lose steam as trade tensions with the US would likely intensify with US president-elect Donald Trump returning to the White House later this month.
A trade-in subsidy for electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrids was also renewed. The cash-for-clunkers program gave a big boost to sales — especially of EVs and hybrids — after its introduction last year, with more than 3.7 million vehicles purchased under the program.
New agricultural machines have also been added under an initiative to subsidize industrial equipment upgrades. Companies in sectors such as electronic information and work safety are included to get the benefit this year.
NDRC Vice Chairman Zhao Chenxin (趙辰昕) said yesterday the program plays an important role in “expanding effective investment, boosting consumer demand, promoting green transformation, and improving people’s livelihood.”
Investors were unimpressed by the latest effort, sending stocks tumbling in the morning. They erased the losses briefly in afternoon trading on purchases by exchange traded funds known to be favored by the “national team” before falling again. The Shanghai Composite index barely moved at the close, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index dropped nearly 1 percent.
The authorities would continue to distribute ultra-long special sovereign bond funds among local governments to help them hand out subsidies to consumers under the program this year, the notice said.
The central government has already extended 81 billion yuan to local authorities to support the program this year, senior Chinese Ministry of Finance official Fu Jinling (傅金玲) said at the briefing.
The authorities would also arrange funds raised from the sales of ultra-long sovereign special bonds to provide loan discounts for companies to upgrade to new equipment on top of the 1.5 percent compensation already offered by the central government, the ministry said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his