The US Department of Defense has added Chinese technology giant Tencent Holdings Ltd (騰訊) and battery manufacturer Contemporary Amperex Technology Co Ltd (CATL, 寧德時代新) to a list of companies it says are affiliated with Beijing’s military.
Tencent shares yesterday plummeted more than 7 percent in Hong Kong, while CATL briefly sank more than 5 percent in Shenzhen before paring the losses.
The two firms were included on a list of Chinese military companies operating in the US that was due to be published yesterday on the US Federal Register, with copies available for download the day before.
Photo: Bloomberg
Tencent is one of the top players in China’s expansive technology sector, operating the WeChat (微信) “super app,” with other offerings across gaming, content streaming and cloud services.
CATL is also a major firm, producing more than one-third of the electric vehicle batteries sold in the world.
They have been used in models from a long line of foreign manufacturers, including Mercedes-Benz AG, BMW AG, Volkswagen AG, Toyota Motor Corp, Honda Motor Co and Hyundai Motor Group.
Tencent said that it intends to engage in discussions with US authorities as part of a process “to correct this mistake.”
The company would “undertake legal proceedings” if necessary to remove itself from the list, it said in a statement published yesterday on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange Web site.
CATL also said its inclusion on the list was a “mistake” and the company is “not engaged in any military related activities.”
“We welcome responsible discourse on our business operations and take questions about our business seriously,” it said in a statement.
The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 required the US secretary of defense to identify Chinese military companies operating directly or indirectly in the US and submit a list to the US Congress, with the unclassified portion of the list to be published on the US Federal Register.
The list does not have direct legal implications for the companies in question, but can affect their reputations, and listed firms have sued over their inclusion in the past.
The US considers China its primary rival, and Washington has for years rolled out measures targeting technology companies over national security concerns and fears that technology could be used by Beijing for military purposes.
Beijing yesterday criticized Washington’s latest move as “unreasonable suppression of Chinese enterprises,” and urged the US to “immediately correct its wrong practices.”
“China is always firmly opposed to the US side’s generalization of the concept of national security,” Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Guo Jiakun (郭嘉昆) said at a regular news conference.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his