China’s regulators pledged to boost efforts to stabilize the housing and equity markets, as well as conduct more effective fiscal policies, in the wake of a meeting of top leaders that called for greater stimulus.
The government would promote the recovery of the property market through measures such as increasing demand and controlling the supply of land for new development, China News Service reported, citing Chinese Vice Minister of Housing and Urban-Rural Development Dong Jianguo (董建國) at a conference on Saturday.
The China Securities Regulatory Commission said it would enhance market monitoring for futures and spot trading, and strengthen supervision of margin trading, derivatives and quantitative trading, according to a statement on its Web site.
Photo: REUTERS
The Chinese Ministry of Finance said it would implement more effective and sustained fiscal policies next year, as well as improve macroeconomic regulations.
The government would also increase the issuance and usage of local government special bonds and expand their investment areas, according to a statement on its Web site.
The comments come after officials led by Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) vowed to raise the fiscal deficit target next year following a two-day huddle of the Chinese Central Economic Work Conference in Beijing. For only the second time in at least a decade, they made “lifting consumption vigorously” and stimulating overall domestic demand their top priority.
China’s struggling economy has rebounded modestly in recent weeks on the back of more government support, with signs of improvement in consumption and factory activity.
However, overall confidence remains frail because policies have not been strong enough to free the economy from deflation.
In a sign of the challenges facing policymakers, China’s credit expansion unexpectedly slowed last month, figures showed on Friday. Loans extended to the real economy, which exclude those issued to financial institutions, fell to the lowest for the month of November since 2009. That offset elevated government bond issuance to drag down overall credit growth.
More easing is on the cards. China would cut interest rates and the reserve requirement ratio in a timely manner next year, the 21st Century Business Herald reported on Saturday, citing Wang Xin (王信), director of the research bureau under the People’s Bank of China (PBOC).
The central bank would increase the intensity of monetary and credit supply, Wang said at an event on Saturday, according to the report. Financing conditions for the real economy would also be relaxed further, it cited Wang as saying.
The comments came days after the Chinese politburo pledged to embrace a “moderately loose” monetary policy next year.
The central bank would also improve how it manages exchange rate expectations and guard against any shocks next year, a senior official said.
The PBOC would “step up expectation management on exchange rates and vigorously respond to external shocks,” the monetary policy department head Zou Lan (鄒瀾) told state media in an interview published on Friday.
In addition, the central bank would “resolutely prevent risks of overshooting in the exchange rate,” he said.
The yuan has fallen sharply since mid-October and slid on Thursday after a media report said authorities were considering letting it depreciate in response to the threat of a trade war with the US.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his