German Chancellor Olaf Scholz called on car manufacturer Volkswagen AG not to shut down factories, Funke media group reported, even as the leader acknowledged it was up to the company’s owners and labor representatives to discuss the matter.
Closing locations “would not be the right way” because poor management decisions contributed to the difficult situation, he told Funke media group in an interview published on Saturday.
Scholz, of the Social Democratic Party, said that while it was the owners who negotiated the specific decisions together with the social partners, it is “always right to remind companies of their responsibility.”
Photo: REUTERS
His comments come ahead of a second wave of so-called warning strikes of Volkswagen workers across German plants planned for today. They are designed to pressure executives during deadlocked negotiations over how to slash costs.
Volkswagen is pushing for unprecedented factory closures, thousands of layoffs and 10 percent wage cuts at its flagship marque, which is struggling with poor demand in Europe and waning relevance in China, the world’s largest auto market.
The industry “faces an almost perfect storm,” UBS Group AG analysts led by Patrick Hummel said in a note to clients.
“Pricing pressure, market-share losses in China, tighter CO2 regulation, tariff risk and continued lackluster demand will likely drive sector earnings down further, despite intensifying restructuring efforts,” they added.
A key employer across Europe, the automotive industry has been the worst-performing sector so far this year. Even with company valuations some 30 percent below historical averages, investors are cautious as the timing for a broader and sustained market rebound remains uncertain.
“For as long as the end of the downgrade cycle isn’t visible, any potential bounce from current lows will likely be short-lived,” UBS said.
Volkswagen would reconvene today for another round of negotiations with its powerful labor union IG Metall about cuts to its beleaguered namesake brand. Management has said it needs to close factories in Germany to address a drop in electric vehicle demand, rising operational costs and intensifying competition. Executives last week rejected labor’s counter-proposal — a 1.5 billion euro (US$1.6 billion) package of additional cuts that included lower dividend payouts, reduced bonuses and a fund to pay for possible layoffs and shift reductions.
With the two sides still far apart, more walkouts and protests could follow in coming weeks in the run-up to the Christmas season. Daniela Cavallo, Volkswagen’s top labor representative, said the meeting today “is likely to determine the way forward: compromise or escalation.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his