South Korea plans to bolster its fiscal support for domestic chipmakers next year, shoring up an industry that might face unfavorable policies from the incoming administration of US president-elect Donald Trump and more intense challenges from Chinese rivals.
Financial support made up of loans, insurances and guarantees from state-affiliated organizations is set to amount to 14.3 trillion won (US$10.3 billion) next year in an elevation of continued policy stimulus, the South Korean Ministry of Economy and Finance said yesterday.
Separately, the government plans to cover “a significant share” of the 1.8 trillion won needed to bury power cables in chipmaking clusters south of Seoul, it said in a statement.
Photo: Bloomberg
South Korea had already launched a 26 trillion won aid package in July, part of which would be reflected in next year’s support amount.
Separately, the government would seek to increase the tax credit rate for semiconductor-related firms by 10 percentage points and build a national “artificial intelligence computing center” worth 4 trillion won by 2030, it said yesterday.
South Korea is stepping up its support for the crown jewel of its economy at a time when Trump vows to bolster US manufacturing and reduce reliance on foreign supply chains.
While the nation has continued to funnel fiscal support into chipmakers, Trump’s election has added urgency to safeguarding the growth of the industry.
In its statement the ministry said there is potential for economic uncertainties to grow after the new US administration is inaugurated, even though US-South Korean ties in defense and shipbuilding could still benefit.
South Korea’s biggest company, Samsung Electronics Co, in particular is building a semiconductor factory in Texas with subsidies promised under the CHIPS Act of the outgoing administration of US President Joe Biden. Trump’s camp repeatedly criticized that funding program during the election campaign.
China might also ratchet up its pursuit of South Korea in supply chains, raising the need for Seoul to help shore up the competitiveness of its tech industries, the finance ministry said, adding that a rising wave of protectionist policies might also dent South Korea’s trade-reliant economy.
Technology exports account for roughly one-third of South Korea’s shipments abroad.
The economy is expected to be on course to grow at least 2 percent this year compared with last year, particularly on the back of strong demand for semiconductors, including memory chips used in artificial intelligence development.
Forecasts among economists for next year are turning less optimistic since the export rally has softened in recent months.
Officials also worry Trump could get tougher on US trading partners after he assumes office in January.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort