Kaimei Electronic Corp (凱美), a supplier of passive components, yesterday said it has allocated a majority of its chip resistor manufacturing capacity to a Malaysian factory from China to brace for potential tariff hikes on Chinese goods from the US.
The company’s remarks came amid investors’ growing concern about escalating trade frictions between China and the US, and how the US’ new trade policies would play out after US president-elect Donald Trump takes office on Jan. 20. Trump has threatened to levy 10 percent more on Chinese imports.
“We have deployed a full production line this year in Malaysia to produce chip resistors. We are evaluating the possibility of using the facility to produce other products to cope with customers’ manufacturing relocations,” Kaimei spokesman Andrew Lee (李彥儒) told a virtual investors’ conference yesterday.
Photo: CNA
“We are providing more flexibility for customers in terms of manufacturing sites, allowing us to have a competitive edge over Chinese rivals,” Lee said.
The new Malaysian factory produces 80 percent of Kaimei’s chip resistors, a surge from 40 percent in the past, Lee said.
Its Chinese factory in Kunshan, Jiangsu Province, used to be the company’s manufacturing hub, making up 60 percent of its total chip resistors. Now, the Chinese factory makes up a mere 20 percent of its total production of chip resistors, he said.
Kaimei is 7.34 percent owned by Yageo Corp (國巨), the world’s third-largest passive component supplier.
For next year, Kaimei holds a cautiously optimistic view about its business outlook, Lee said, adding that factory utilization would improve, from 50 percent for its chip resistor factories and 80 percent for its aluminum electrolytic capacitor and cooling fan factories.
Artificial intelligence (AI) “remains the bright spot next year. Kaimei will not be absent from the market,” Lee said. “The introduction of new artificial intelligence PCs and power supplies for those devices is to stimulate new demand for passive components.”
Kaimei would benefit from the AI uptakes next year as AI devices usually require high-end passive components, which carry higher average selling prices, he said.
The outlook for the current quarter is lackluster, as the prospects for the world economy remain unclear and uncertain before Trump takes office, Kaimei said.
Revenue this quarter would drop slightly from NT$1.38 billion (US$42.4 million) in the third quarter, Lee said.
Chip resistors made up 46 percent of the company’s total revenue during the first three quarters of this year. Aluminum electrolytic capacitors accounted for 44 percent, with the remaining 10 percent of revenue from cooling fans.
China remained the biggest market for the company, making up a sizeable revenue share of 65 percent during the first three quarters, while the US market only constituted 3 percent.
Net profit expanded 14 percent year-on-year to NT$378 million during the first three quarters compared with NT$332 million in the same period last year. Earnings per share rose to NT$3.48 from NT$3.05.
Gross margin improved to about 19 percent during the nine-month period ending September from about 16 percent in the same period last year.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his