The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted unanimously on Thursday to launch a “major, comprehensive review” and update of rules governing submarine cables amid an increase in potential state-sponsored attacks on critical infrastructure.
FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel said the review of the systems responsible for facilitating the flow of global Internet traffic is long overdue.
The agency previously granted cable landing licenses for 25 years “without requiring any update about who owns and controls the facility.”
Photo: AP / Craig Mitchelldyer
The last review was in 2001, and the technology, economics and national security environment surrounding the systems have changed tremendously since then, the FCC said.
There are 84 FCC-licensed cable systems.
“That is a quarter of a century during which information about foreign investment and interconnection essential for the secure flow of data traffic is not updated. That is too long,” Rosenworcel said.
There have been several high-profile instances of subsea cable disruptions recently, including Taiwan’s accusation that two Chinese vessels severed cables providing Internet access to Lienchiang County.
Earlier this year, three cables serving Europe and Asia were severed amid Houthi attacks in the Red Sea, and Baltic Sea cables serving Germany, Sweden, Estonia, Lithuania and Finland also experienced tampering multiple times, including as recently as this week.
“While the details of these incidents remain in dispute, what is clear is that these facilities — with locations that are openly published to prevent damage — are becoming a target,” Rosenworcel said. “Add to this vulnerabilities that come from trawling anchors, aquatic life, and climate disturbances and it is clear we need to do more to protect these facilities.”
The FCC said it is specifically seeking public comment on how it could make its subsea cable rules more efficient while ensuring the security of critical infrastructure.
It proposes that subsea cable operators check in with the commission every three years and is considering whether the 25-year license term should be shortened.
The agency is debating whether it should collect more information on the companies seeking subsea cable licenses, including taking a closer look at their “ownership, control and use of a subsea cable system.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort