The European Chamber of Commerce Taiwan (ECCT) yesterday urged the government to create a ministerial task force to coordinate and facilitate the achievement of net zero gas emissions by 2050.
The chamber also called for relaxed immigration and labor rules to address a shortage of white-collar and blue-collar workers.
Taiwan has recognized the threat of climate change and joined the international community in the pursuit of net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050, ECCT chairman Giuseppe Izzo said upon releasing the chamber’s annual position paper.
Photo: CNA
“Authorities are aware of Taiwan’s overreliance on imports of fossil fuels and the need to transition to cleaner energy sources and explore other strategies to enhance Taiwan’s energy security,” Izzo said.
Toward the end, the ECCT recommended the government set up a ministerial task force or appoint a single entity to coordinate different stakeholders, and the task force should have the authority and resources to help applicants resolve issues though the permitting process.
Despite more than 300 turbines already in operation this year, there is a long way to go to reach the government’s wind energy target of 13.1 gigawatts (GW) by 2030 and 40GW to 55GW by 2050, the ECCT said.
The key to overcoming this challenge is to ensure a financially and commercially robust investment environment because no third-round projects have achieved financial closure, putting 2027 to 2028 grid connections at risk, it said.
The chamber recommended timely financial support or a government-backed renewable energy procurement platform alongside the national credit guarantee mechanism to speed up the financing process.
A ministerial task force would help coordinate among stakeholders, integrate regulations and permits across government agencies, streamline the permit process, accelerate reviews, and avoid delaying projects, it said.
A more flexible approach on technology localization would create a more sustainable market with viable projects and internationally competitive suppliers, it said.
Taiwan’s labor rules are outdated and unfit to meet the needs of a modern workforce, it said.
Authorities should relax rules requiring the strict recording of working hours, especially for senior employees and remote workers, it added.
At the same time, employees should be granted the right to apply to work remotely or part time while they are raising young children, the ECCT said.
The government should give more subsidies or tax incentives to childcare centers and enterprises to provide childcare facilities in their workplaces to address Taiwan’s lack of childcare options, it said.
Taiwan faces a declining population, but the requirements and procedures for applying for dual citizenship are overly stringent, it said.
Authorities should ease the qualification requirements for special foreign professionals, streamline the visa and work permit application process, and grant three-year work permits to all qualified foreign professionals, it said.
Taiwan is also facing a shortage of blue-collar workers. Rules should be relaxed to allow companies in the service industry to hire foreign workers to meet their needs, it said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his