Taipei would help Taiwanese firms relocate their China-based production plants if US president-elect Donald Trump carries out his threat to impose a 60 percent tariff on Chinese-made goods, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday.
Trump’s victory in the US presidential election has left world leaders, business owners and stock markets grappling with the potential impact of his return to the White House.
During the election campaign, Trump vowed to get tougher on China, promising to slap 60 percent tariffs on all Chinese goods entering the US.
Photo: Liao Chia-ning, Taipei Times
“We will come up with some assistance very soon to our Taiwanese business people on how to transfer their production bases so they would not be subjected to a 60 percent tariff,” Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said at a meeting of the legislature’s Economics Committee in Taipei.
Kuo did not provide further details on the measures.
Many Taiwanese companies have set up factories in China during the country’s economic opening over the last four decades, but investment has fallen sharply in recent years owing to regional tech disputes.
From 2019 to 2021, as a trade war raged between Beijing and Washington, Taipei offered Taiwanese businesses in China incentives to return to Taiwan. They included two years free rent in the economic ministry’s industrial zones, labor subsidies and cheaper loans.
Trump has described “tariff” as the most beautiful word in the dictionary and his second presidential term promises sweeping measures on all US$3 trillion worth of US imported goods. He has promised at least a 10 percent tariff on all imports, and a higher level of 60 percent or more on Chinese goods.
Kuo said Trump’s suggested 10 percent tariff on all US imports would have a limited effect on Taiwan. However, Trump’s proposed 60 percent levy on Chinese-made products would have a greater impact on Taiwanese firms operating in China, the minister said.
Regarding trade talks between Taiwan and the US, Yen Huai-shing (顏慧欣), an official at the Executive Yuan’s Office of Trade Negotiations, said at the meeting that Taiwan has long had a good trade relationship with the US and that the office would keep in contact with the US president-elect’s team and confirm trade negotiation strategies.
International Trade Administration Director-General Cynthia Kiang (江文若) said that Taiwan and the US have already signed the first agreement in the “US-Taiwan Initiative on 21st-Century Trade.”
However, the agreement, which still requires the approval of the US Congress, would not come into effect for some time, Kiang said.
After Trump assumes office, the Ministry of Economic Affairs would emphasize Taiwan-US trade discussions, she said.
Additional reporting by CNA
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his