A Chinese cybersecurity association yesterday recommended a review of products that semiconductor giant Intel Corp sells in the country, accusing it of threatening national interests.
For decades, California-based Intel has dominated the market for the chips that run everything from laptops to data centers, with China among the company’s biggest markets.
The statement by the Cybersecurity Association of China (CSAC) — an industry group with close links to the Chinese government — said some processing units made by Intel were deemed to have “frequent” security flaws.
Photo: Reuters
This has exposed users to potential attacks that could see sensitive personal data, including passwords and bank card numbers, stolen, the statement said.
“Intel has made a lot of money in China, but the company has continuously done things that harm China’s interests and threaten China’s national security,” CSAC said in the statement.
“It is recommended to initiate a cybersecurity review of Intel’s products sold in China to effectively safeguard China’s national security and the lawful rights and interests of Chinese consumers,” it added.
The statement also said Intel was working to “suppress China” by requiring its suppliers to avoid using labor or products from the Xinjiang region, where Beijing is accused of widespread rights violations.
The US Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act bans the import of all goods from the Xinjiang region unless companies offer verifiable proof that production did not involve such a violation.
Beijing and Washington have been locked in a tit-for-tat tech battle, vying for supremacy in fields including advanced semiconductors and artificial intelligence.
Last year, Beijing launched an investigation into US memory chipmaker Micron Technology Inc, citing the need to “safeguard national security.”
Separately, Qualcomm Inc is likely to wait until after the US presidential election next month before deciding whether to pursue an offer to buy Intel, people familiar with the matter said.
San Diego-based Qualcomm wants greater clarity on the new occupant of the White House before deciding its next move because of the impact any future administration would have on the antitrust landscape and America’s relationship with China, according to the people, who asked not to be identified discussing confidential information.
Qualcomm could opt to wait until after the inauguration of the new US president in January before deciding how to proceed, given the many complexities of a potential transaction involving Intel, some of the people said.
A combination of Qualcomm and Intel, whose products are key to the digital framework supporting everyday life — from smartphones to electric vehicles — would almost certainly draw intense scrutiny from antitrust regulators in the US and around the world. That includes China, a key market for both Qualcomm and Intel.
Qualcomm made a preliminary approach to Intel on a possible takeover of its struggling rival in September last year. In the same month, the company made informal inquiries with antitrust regulators in China to gauge their stance on any potential deal, some of the people said. Qualcomm hasn’t received any feedback from Chinese authorities, which are waiting to see if the company actually makes a formal bid, they said.
Additional reporting by Bloomberg
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his