Global goods trade is on course for modest growth throughout this year and next year, despite risks emanating from the conflict in the Middle East, the WTO forecast yesterday.
“We are expecting a gradual recovery in global trade for 2024, but we remain vigilant of potential setbacks — particularly the potential escalation of regional conflicts like those in the Middle East,” WTO Director-General Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said in a statement.
“The impact could be most severe for the countries directly involved, but they may also indirectly affect global energy costs and shipping routes.”
Photo: Martial Trezzini, EPA-EFE
Global goods trade slumped 1.1 percent last year, depressed by high inflation and rising interest rates.
In its updated global trade outlook, the WTO revised its forecast for world merchandise trade growth this year to 2.7 percent — slightly up from the April estimate of 2.6 percent.
Demand for traded goods is stronger than foreseen in Asia and weaker than expected in Europe, it said.
The WTO lowered its next year’s forecast from 3.3 percent to three percent.
WTO chief economist Ralph Ossa told AFP that while there are “risks everywhere” for international trade, “the biggest one would be the geopolitical risk” from conflict in the Middle East.
“If, for example, the oil price rises dramatically, this would of course affect the economy and trade,” he said.
However, “it seems that at the moment the markets can’t quite decide if they should be concerned about the supply side risks coming from the Middle East, or what they should think about the demand side coming from China.”
Asia’s export volumes are set to grow faster than any other region this year, rising as much as 7.4 percent, driven by China, Singapore and South Korea, with Japanese exports stagnant.
On the import side, Chinese import growth remains moderate, while Singapore, Malaysia and other Asian economies are showing stronger growth.
Meanwhile, Europe is now expected to post a decline of 1.4 percent in export volumes this year. Imports are forecast to decrease 2.3 percent.
“We see Europe weaker than we expected and Asia stronger than we expected, with Europe continuing to be a drag on export and import growth, and Asia continuing to be a driver, particularly of exports,” Ossa said.
For Europe, “a big part of the story is Germany,” he said, citing lower car and chemical exports, particularly in organic chemicals and those used in vaccine production.
Germany’s crucial manufacturing sector has been hit hard by higher energy costs in the wake of Russia’s war in Ukraine and cooling demand from abroad, contributing to a wider downturn.
The WTO outlook highlighted the rising importance of so-called “connector countries” in global supply chains and trade, particularly Mexico and Vietnam, followed by India.
While the direct bilateral trade relationship between China and the US has “really suffered,” much trade now seems to be being routed via such countries, Ossa said.
The WTO hopes the normalization of inflation and interest rates will bolster international trade.
“As the impact of inflation recedes, we should expect to see incomes recovering and consumption of all kinds of goods rising, including imports,” WTO senior economist Coleman Nee said.
World real GDP growth at market exchange rates is expected to remain steady at 2.7 percent last year, this year and next.
The fastest-growing region this year is likely to be Asia, where output is expected to climb to four percent, while the slowest-growing region is likely to be Europe at 1.1 percent.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his