The central bank on Wednesday unveiled amnesty measures to spare real estate inheritors, people with relocation needs and back deals from the credit controls it introduced on Sept. 18.
The move came less than a month after the monetary policymaker significantly tightened lending terms to avoid an overconcentration of house loans and a housing bubble.
Central bank Governor Yang Chin-long (楊金龍) had promised lawmakers to make exceptions for innocent home buyers after many protested that the latest credit control measures would deny them necessary funding, especially for presale and new houses that are soon to be delivered.
Photo: CNA
People who need to move because of a job or family-size changes also would have faced a cash crunch if they had put down a down payment equivalent to 50 percent of the house value.
Alan Pan (潘榮耀), director general of the central bank’s banking department, told a media briefing that first-time mortgage applicants could qualify for grace periods and house loans of up to 85 percent, even if they had already inherited real estate.
“The main difference is the access to grace periods for this group,” Pan said.
The central bank previously denied this group grace periods even though some only had partial ownership of real estate as a result of inheritance.
Pan said people with relocation needs could qualify for lending terms as first-home buyers if they sign an affidavit stating they would sell their old house within a year. Violators would have their favorable lending terms rescinded and need to return the difference in interest payments and pay a higher down payment, he said.
The loan-to-value ratio is 50 percent for second mortgages, 40 percent for third mortgages and 30 percent for fourth mortgages and luxury houses.
In addition, the central bank moved to spare people who had signed purchase agreements prior to the introduction of the credit controls to prevent panic sell-offs, Pan said.
Buyers of presale house projects could also opt to terminate the purchase agreements even though existing rules ban their transfer, he said.
House brokers have had mixed reactions to the exclusionary measures, but are on the same page that they want to reverse a slowdown in the housing market.
H&B Realty Co (住商不動產) said the one-year requirement is too harsh for people with relocation needs because people spend more time finding buyers, while Evertrust Rehouse Co (永慶房屋) welcomed the exemption on back deals, but predicted that a slowdown ahead remains inevitable due to strict lending terms.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort