Sudden moves in Japan’s currency hurt companies and households, and that impact requires close government scrutiny, newly appointed Japanese Minister of Finance Katsunobu Kato said in a group interview yesterday, following a pronounced slide in the yen in recent days.
“The problem is sharp currency fluctuations can have a negative impact on business activity and does not help citizens’ lives,” he said.
He also called for clear central bank communication and said that the government would quickly put together an economic package.
Photo: Kosuke Okahara, Bloomberg
Japan’s currency is trading at about ¥148.40 against the US dollar compared with a high of 141.66 just a week ago, as investors try to determine the direction of Ishiba’s new administration.
Strong US jobs data on Friday gave the currency an additional shunt as market players lowered their expectations for the size of US Federal Reserve interest rate cuts.
“We will carefully watch the impact of [foreign exchange reserves] forex moves on the Japanese economy and people’s lives,” Kato said.
Japan has already spent more than US$100 billion this year propping up the yen and would likely want to avoid having to intervene in markets again if possible.
Kato did not specify what action the government might take if the yen weakens further.
The Japan leadership race and comments from the new government have contributed to recent volatility in the yen.
Japan’s economy was not ready for higher interest rates, Ishiba said last week, prompting the currency to fall. Later he appeared to walk back some of those comments, suggesting he is still in the process of judging how best to communicate with markets.
Kato said he expects the Bank of Japan (BOJ) to communicate carefully with the market and manage policy appropriately toward its price goal.
The government and the central bank last week confirmed a joint accord that states their commitment to a 2 percent inflation target.
A BOJ rate hike at the end of July caught out some market participants and was seen contributing to a market meltdown that resulted in Japan’s worst-ever daily slide in stock prices. The bank meets at the end of this month and is widely expected to keep rates unchanged.
The specifics of monetary policy should be left to the central bank, Kato said.
To protect households from the impact of higher prices and to support growth, Ishiba last week ordered a package of economic measures and a supplementary budget to help fund it. The upcoming package is to include cash handouts for low-income households and regional economies.
“We want to put this together as soon as possible and take more concrete steps,” Kato said.
The additional spending would likely add to Japan’s debt burden, further straining the country’s already tough fiscal situation.
Japan’s debt reached 255 percent of GDP this year, the International Monetary Fund said.
Kato said that the government has to keep next year’s primary balance and fiscal health goal in mind while working on spending reform.
The government would continue to strengthen the competitiveness of the semiconductor industry, he added.
“The government’s stance has been [that] the chips sector is of key importance for economic national security,” Kato said. “We will keep following through on plans to support it.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort