Argentine biochemist Alejandro Nadra worries that Argentine President Javier Milei’s budget cuts would undo his scientific quest to unravel the cause of genetic diseases that disable and kill millions.
Since taking office in December last year, budget-slashing Milei has frozen public university and research budgets even as annual inflation stands at 236 percent.
This meant real spending on science and technology fell 33 percent year-on-year in August, the CIICTI research center said.
Photo: AFP
Nadra said he has already had to stop some of his experiments with the proteins responsible for gene mutations that cause diseases.
“We are on the verge of collapse,” Nadra said from his laboratory at the University of Buenos Aires, home to three Nobel Prize laureates in science.
Along with artists, teachers, pilots, social workers and countless other professionals affected by Milei’s drive to curb flyaway inflation and public debt, scientists fear for their future in Argentina.
“People are leaving, and they aren’t applying for scholarships or teaching positions anymore, because they can’t make a living,” Nadra said.
Those who do often end up working in labs without the necessary equipment or supplies.
“If things don’t change, the time is near when everything disintegrates,” said Nadra.
Nadra said he has not been able to buy anything he needs for his research since November last year.
“So, if I run out of supplies, I either borrow from someone who still has some, or I stop doing those experiments,” Nadra said.
The gross monthly salary of a research assistant today at the Argentine National Council for Scientific and Technical Research of Argentina (CONICET) is about 30 percent less, about US$1,180, than a year ago, the RAICYT network of science institutes said.
Official figures released last week showed that 52.9 percent of people live in poverty in Milei’s Argentina.
Biologist Edith Kordon works at the Institute for Physiology, Molecular Biology and Neurosciences, where she investigates breast cancer.
“This is the first time this has happened to me. I mean, it has always been very hard to get funding, it has always been very hard to get scholarships, but now there is this practical certainty that we have nothing... I’ve never had so little money to do anything,” she said.
Former Argentine minister of science, technology and innovation Lino Baranao recently highlighted that even before Milei’s cuts, Argentina spent about 0.31 percent of GDP on science compared with 1.21 percent in Brazil, 3.45 percent in the US and 4.9 percent in South Korea.
Today, it is even less, at about 0.2 percent.
“Never in the recent history of Argentina has there been such a drastic reduction in the [scientific] budget,” Baranao told La Nacion newspaper.
In a more prosperous past, state funding of research had made possible the development of a transgenic wheat strain resistant to drought by a CONICET research team, among other life-changing breakthroughs.
Last week, Milei’s government adjusted CONICET’s working budget upward to just more than US$100,000 for this year, a figure which physicist Jorge Aliaga considers “irrelevant” in its inadequacy.
“It doesn’t change anything,” Aliaga said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his