OpenAI has completed a deal to raise US$6.6 billion in new funding, giving the artificial intelligence (AI) company a US$157 billion valuation and bolstering its efforts to build the world’s leading generative AI technology.
The funding round was led by Thrive Capital Management LLC, the venture capital firm headed by Josh Kushner, which put in US$1.3 billion. Microsoft Corp, OpenAI’s largest backer, put in about US$750 million, on top of the US$13 billion it had already invested in the start-up, a source familiar with the matter said.
Other investors included Khosla Ventures LLC, Fidelity Management & Research Co and Nvidia Corp, the chipmaker whose powerful processors are at the center of the AI boom.
Photo: Reuters
The OpenAI deal is one of the largest-ever private investments, and makes it one of the three largest venture-backed start-ups, alongside Elon Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp and TikTok owner ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動). The size of the investment underscores the tech industry’s belief in the power of AI and its appetite for the extremely costly research powering its advancement.
Other investors writing major checks included Tiger Global Management LLC, which put in US$350 million, and Altimeter Capital Management LP, which invested at least US$250 million, according to sources familiar with the matter.
Global backers participating in the round included Softbank Group Corp and the new Abu Dhabi-based tech investment firm MGX. Softbank’s investment was US$500 million, according to one of the people. Venture firm Coatue Management LLC also participated.
In a statement, OpenAI said it would use the cash influx to drive forward AI research and increase its computing capacity.
“AI is already personalizing learning, accelerating healthcare breakthroughs and driving productivity,” OpenAI chief financial officer Sarah Friar said. “And this is just the start.”
The huge valuation for OpenAI has transfixed Silicon Valley.
“People are shocked at 150 billion bucks,” said Altimeter chief executive officer Brad Gerstner, speaking on stage at the Madrona Intelligent Applications Summit in Seattle on Wednesday.
However, he also cited reports that the start-up expects to generate more than US$10 billion in revenue next year — adding that a multiple of 10 times projected revenue is not exorbitant for a company about to go public, giving Google and Facebook as comparable examples.
Gerstner called the start-up “the most important AI company in the United States, next to Nvidia.”
Apple Inc did not participate in the deal, although the company was previously in talks to invest. The iPhone maker has a partnership with OpenAI to integrate ChatGPT on its devices and through its Siri voice assistant. As part of that accord, Apple was previously in discussions to get an observer role on OpenAI’s board, although those plans were dropped, sources familiar with the matter said.
In this funding round, OpenAI also wanted investors to refrain from funding five companies they perceive as close competitors, sources said. The list of companies includes rivals developing large language models such as Anthropic and Musk’s xAI. OpenAI’s cofounder Ilya Sutskever’s new company, Safe Superintelligence Inc, is also on the list.
Two AI applications firms, including AI search start-up Perplexity and enterprise search firm Glean, were also named in OpenAI’s conversation with investors, the sources said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his