Qualcomm Inc has approached Intel Corp to discuss a potential acquisition of the struggling chipmaker, people with knowledge of the matter said, raising the prospect of one of the biggest-ever merger and acquisition deals.
California-based Qualcomm proposed a friendly takeover for Intel in recent days, said the sources, who asked not to be identified discussing confidential information.
The proposal is for all of the chipmaker, although Qualcomm has not ruled out buying some parts of Intel and selling off others.
Photo:REUTERS
It is uncertain whether the initial approach would lead to an agreement and any deal is likely to come under close antitrust scrutiny and take time to complete, the sources said.
Qualcomm has been speaking with US regulators and believes an all-US combination could allay any concerns, they said.
Qualcomm is looking at Intel at a time when its smaller rival is in the midst of the most difficult period in the company’s 56-year history.
Intel’s shares have fallen about 37 percent over the past 12 months, giving it a market value of about US$93 billion.
Qualcomm’s stock has risen more than 50 percent during the same period to a market capitalization of about US$188 billion. At such values, any deal between Qualcomm and all of Intel would rank among the largest on record.
The Wall Street Journal reported Qualcomm’s interest on Friday, driving Intel’s shares up by more than 3 percent. Representatives for Qualcomm and Intel declined to comment.
Intel chief executive officer Pat Gelsinger still believes his turnaround plan could be sufficient for the company to remain independent, but he is open to considering the merits of different potential transactions, the sources said.
Both companies would now assess various options with advisers, they said.
While Qualcomm’s approach raises the prospect of others entering the fray, at least one large rival is opting to sit on the sidelines for now.
Broadcom Inc is not currently evaluating an offer for Intel, the sources said.
The company had previously been assessing whether to pursue a deal, they added.
Advisers continue to pitch ideas to Broadcom, the sources said. A representative for Broadcom declined to comment.
Intel is headed toward its third consecutive year of shrinking sales, estimated to make US$52 billion in revenue this year, just 70 percent of its 2021 revenue.
The stock did receive a bounce last week after the company made a raft of announcements that spurred optimism in Gelsinger’s turnaround plan.
In the most notable move, Intel struck a multibillion-dollar deal with Amazon.com Inc’s Amazon Web Services cloud unit to coinvest in a custom artificial intelligence semiconductor and outlined a plan to turn its ailing manufacturing business, or foundry, into a wholly owned subsidiary.
The decision to separate Intel’s foundry operations from the rest of the tech company is aimed in part at convincing prospective customers — some of which compete with Intel — that they are dealing with an independent supplier.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his