The Bank of Japan (BOJ) yesterday kept its monetary policy unchanged, avoiding a repetition of the market meltdown that followed its July rate hike while keeping the path open for continuing to raise borrowing costs in the coming months.
The immediate market reaction was muted, with stocks maintaining their gains and only a relatively small shift in the value of the yen after the BOJ met expectations by holding the unsecured overnight call rate steady at 0.25 percent. Following BOJ Governor Kazuo Ueda’s news conference, where he seemed to suggest there was a little more time to pause, the yen weakened from about ¥141.80 to ¥143.60 against the US dollar.
In a busy week for central banking that saw the US Federal Reserve finally embark on rate cuts, the BOJ was expected to stand pat by all economists surveyed by Bloomberg.
Photo: Bloomberg
“The upside risk to prices does appear to be easing given the recent yen strength,” Ueda said.
“There’s some time to confirm certain points when making policy decisions,” he added, referring to the importance of checking moves in financial markets and the state of overseas economies.
A hold decision seemed almost certain given the need to monitor the impact of July’s rate increase and to avoid spooking markets again with a surprise. Holding steady also kept the bank out of the spotlight as Japan’s Liberal Democratic Party chooses a new leader on Friday next week to take on the role of prime minister.
The bank raised its assessment of consumer spending, a key engine of economic growth, and cited the need to monitor financial markets. Following another uptick in the inflation rate, it also reiterated that it expects price growth to continue in line with its target for the latter half of its projection period.
“The BOJ is indicating it’s on track for another rate hike,” said Jin Kenzaki, head of Japan research at Societe Generale SA.
Most economists doubt that the central bank would hike at its meeting next month, partly due to the possibility of a national vote in Japan just before the US chooses its next president in early November.
“October seems too early given the likelihood of not enough data to back up an additional hike and a general election likely taking place soon after the LDP election,” Kenzaki said.
“I continue to expect that the next move will take place in December,” he said.
Market pricing indicates investors are less convinced than economists that the central bank would move again by the end of the year. Overnight index swaps, which tend to be volatile, yesterday veered between suggesting zero and 77 percent odds of a 25 basis-point hike this year. About 70 percent of economists surveyed by Bloomberg expect another increase by December.
The BOJ removed from its policy statement a mention of its stance on continuing to raise the policy rate if its outlook for economic activity is met. The bank previously used this language in an explanation of its rate hike decision and policy direction in July. While the removal of the line matched the pattern of explanatory text in recent statements, its earlier repeated inclusion might have overemphasized the BOJ’s appetite to hike.
“Ueda will probably balance two main considerations — the risk that a hawkish BOJ sets off more market turbulence, against growing confidence backed by recent data on wages and prices that its 2 percent inflation target is increasingly secure. Our baseline view is that Ueda will send a subtle signal that the BOJ will be prepared to hike in October, if conditions are right then,” Bloomberg economist Taro Kimura said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his