Volkswagen AG (VW) and its oldest Chinese partner plan to shutter one plant in China and possibly more in response to slowing demand for combustion-engine cars, in a further pullback after the venture’s first factory ceased output.
The company’s four-decade-old business with SAIC Motor Corp (上海汽車集團) is preparing to close a factory in Nanjing as soon as next year, people familiar with the matter said. The site, which makes VW Passat and Skoda cars, has an annual capacity of as many as 360,000 vehicles.
At its Shanghai base, SAIC VW Automobile Co (上汽大眾汽車) stopped production two years ago at one factory that had been open since the mid-1980s. A second plant has reduced output and could also be shut or overhauled, said the people, who asked not to be named before final decisions are made.
Photo: Reuters
The partners are also conducting a strategy review of VW’s mass-market Skoda brand after a steep drop in sales, the company confirmed, underscoring the magnitude of the difficulties the automaker faces in China. A facility in Ningbo, in Zhejiang Province, that makes several Skoda models is being idled for months at a time and also is being considered for closure, the people said.
“All SAIC VW factories are operating normally according to the market requirements and our forecast,” VW China said in an e-mail.
As the focus shifts toward smart electric vehicles (EVs), “we are also transforming vehicle production and the components plants step by step,” it said.
The unprecedented retreat in VW’s biggest market is being driven by a consumer slump and a rapid shift toward EVs that has left the German manufacturer with too much conventional automaking capacity.
Production at VW’s 39 Chinese plants last year remained more than a quarter below its peak before Covid-19. Its share of operating earnings from its Chinese ventures fell 20 percent last year to 2.62 billion euros (US$2.92 billion), and is down by about half from its highest level in 2015.
SAIC has also suffered from weak sales. Profits from the joint venture with VW have been falling for five years, from a peak of 28 billion yuan (US$3.9 billion) in 2018 to just 3.13 billion yuan in 2023.
VW is reassessing its Chinese footprint as it weighs plant closures at home, highlighting the complex challenges the company must navigate to stay ahead of a perilous and uneven global transition away from fossil fuel vehicles.
While VW and other manufacturers were caught off-guard by stagnating EV demand in Europe this year, electrification is rapidly moving ahead in China. There, local rivals such as BYD Co (比亞迪) have seized the upper hand with innovative and affordable models.
Across China, sales of battery EVs and plug-in hybrids rose 43 percent last month to 1.03 million units from a year earlier, the country’s passenger car association said. Sales of such vehicles surpassed 6 million for the first eight months of the year.
Volkswagen has spent four decades building its carmaking capacity in China, starting with the venture with state-owned SAIC in 1985. By the end of last year, VW had more than 90,000 employees in China.
At SAIC-VW alone, factory utilization last year stood at about 58 percent of a 2.1 million-car ceiling, according to SAIC’s annual report. Scaling back would save costs for its co-owners as they seek to strengthen their hand in EVs.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort