Intel Corp chief executive officer Pat Gelsinger has landed Amazon.com Inc’s Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a customer for the company’s manufacturing business, potentially bringing work to new plants under construction in the US and boosting his efforts to turn around the embattled chipmaker.
Intel and AWS are to coinvest in a custom semiconductor for artificial intelligence computing — what is known as a fabric chip — in a “multiyear, multibillion-dollar framework,” Intel said in a statement on Monday.
The work would rely on Intel’s 18A process, an advanced chipmaking technology.
Photo: Ann Wang, Reuters
Intel shares rose more than 8 percent in late trading after the announcement. They had been down 58 percent this year, closing at US$20.91 on Monday.
“Today’s announcement is big,” Gelsinger said in an interview. “This is a very discerning customer who has very sophisticated design capabilities.”
The news was part of a flurry of announcements that followed a pivotal board meeting last week. Intel also is postponing new factories in Germany and Poland, but remains committed to its US expansion in Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon and Ohio.
The Poland and Germany construction projects would be paused for about two years depending on market demand.
Another one in Malaysia would be completed, but only put into operation when conditions support it, Intel said.
At last week’s three-day board meeting, executives presented options on how to conserve cash, while keeping Gelsinger’s turnaround plan on track. The CEO’s effort hinges on transforming Intel into a so-called foundry, a chipmaker that manufactures products for outside customers.
The Santa Clara, California-based company has been slow to line up customers for the project — and a high-profile customer such as Amazon represents a notable win.
AWS is the largest provider of cloud computing, and it could help build confidence that Intel can compete with the likes of foundry leader Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電). AWS has used Intel processors over the years, but has been shifting more toward in-house designs — the products that Intel might now help manufacture.
Microsoft Corp, another major cloud-computing provider, in February announced plans to use Intel for some of its in-house chips as well.
Another change: Intel’s foundry operations would be further separated from the rest of the company and become a wholly owned subsidiary. That move is aimed in part at convincing prospective customers — some of whom compete with Intel — that they are dealing with an independent supplier.
Bloomberg reported earlier on a potential foundry separation.
“We still have things to learn about becoming a foundry,” Gelsinger said in the interview. “I need lots of customers.”
In another win, Intel earlier on Monday said that it is eligible to receive as much as US$3 billion in US government funding to manufacture chips for the military. The effort, called the Secure Enclave, aims to establish a steady supply of cutting-edge chips for defense and intelligence purposes.
That news helped send the shares up 6.4 percent in regular trading on Monday.
The Secure Enclave award is separate from a possible US$8.5 billion CHIPS and Science Act grant that Intel is set to receive to support factories in four US states. The projects include a facility in New Albany, Ohio, that Intel has said could become the world’s largest chipmaking operation.
Intel still has a long way to go to win back Wall Street’s full confidence. After years of losing ground to rivals and seeing its technological edge slip, the Silicon Valley pioneer is valued at less than US$90 billion. It no longer ranks as one of the top 10 chip companies on that basis.
Meanwhile, Nvidia Corp has a market capitalization of about US$2.9 trillion.
Gelsinger, in a letter to employees, acknowledged that the chipmaker’s performance has drawn negative scrutiny — and spurred speculation over what might happen to the company.
The only way to “quiet our critics” would be to deliver results and execute better, he said.
Monday’s announcements are a step toward that, he added.
“Is it good enough? No. Is it substantial? Yes,” he said in the interview. “I’ve re-upped my commitment. We’re going to finish a seminal assignment.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his