Gogoro Inc (睿能創意), the nation’s biggest electric scooter maker, yesterday said that its chairman and CEO Horace Luke (陸學森) has resigned amid chronic losses and probes into the company’s alleged involvement in subsidy fraud.
The board of directors nominated Reuntex Group (潤泰集團) general counsel Tamon Tseng (曾夢達) as the company’s new chairman, Gogoro said in a statement. Ruentex is Gogoro’s biggest stakeholder.
Gogoro Taiwan general manager Henry Chiang (姜家煒) is to serve as acting CEO during the interim period, the statement said.
Photo: Anindito Mukherjee, Bloomberg
Luke’s departure came as a bombshell yesterday. As a company founder, he has played a key role in pushing for the company’s expansions at home and abroad, as well as Gogoro’s initial public offering on the NASDAQ.
Gogoro did not disclose the reason behind Luke’s decision to leave the company he founded 13 years ago.
“After much reflection, I have made the difficult decision to step down from my role as CEO and chairman of Gogoro. This decision has not been easy, but I believe it is the right time for the company and I to transition leadership as we embark on the next phase of growth,” Luke said in an internal e-mail sent to Gogoro employees. “My confidence in Gogoro’s bright future remains steadfast. I will always be Gogoro’s biggest advocate, and I look forward to seeing the company continue to grow and succeed from a new vantage point.”
As the company has been struggling to eke out a profit, poor financial performance is widely considered to be the main factor for Luke’s departure. Losses ballooned from US$5.6 million in the second quarter last year to US$20.1 million for the same period this year. Gross margin also plunged from 15.2 percent a year ago to 5.2 percent last quarter.
As of Thursday, Gogoro’s stock price has tumbled about 92 percent from its closing price of US$14.02 during its IPO in 2022 to US$1.05, indicating that investors have lost confidence in the company’s prospects.
In addition, former employees have tipped off the Ministry of Economic Affairs about Gorogo’s alleged subsidy fraud, Business Today reported on Wednesday.
Gogoro has allegedly been using Chinese engines and key parts to reduce manufacturing costs, despite reporting to the ministry that it was using locally made parts to get government subsidies, it said.
Gogoro has received more than NT$600 million (US$18.75 million) in subsidies by allegedly faking domestic key components, the report said.
The ministry said it has received tip-offs and is investigating Gogoro’s practices. The ministry grants special subsidies to encourage adoption of domestically made key parts.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his