Long marginalized by the banking industry, Mexico’s neighborhood tortilla producers are cautiously embracing financial technology in a country where cash is still king for many.
The Mexican National Tortilla Council and technology firm Finsus have developed a mobile application that allows vendors of the staple food to charge customers using cards, QR codes or a cellphone number.
“It’s revolutionizing the industry,” said organization president Homero Lopez Garcia, whose ambitious goal is for 90 percent of tortilla makers to use the app within three years.
Photo: AFP
The feedback from those who have tried it has been positive.
“They say: ‘I like it, I understand it,’” he said.
The hope is that the app would also enable tortilla producers to generate additional income by offering their clients cellphone top-up and bill payment services.
For many, the app is their first link to the formal financial industry.
Only about half of Mexico’s 129 million inhabitants have a bank account and most tortilla shops operate informally.
Although it is still in the testing phase, the app is already making life easier for tortilla producer Abel Garcia, who has been in the business for 25 years.
The 60-year-old said that he started out using family savings after failing to get a bank loan, and now owns several stores.
“It was difficult to get credit — very, very difficult!” Garcia said in the working-class district of Iztapalapa.
His success finally gave him access to banks, but with restrictions that put him off using them.
“That’s why we tore up the checkbook,” he said.
Tortillas are consumed by millions of Mexicans every day and an estimated 110,000 to 135,000 businesses are involved in their production, according to official and industry figures.
Most of them operate in the informal economy, as do many Mexican workers.
Mexico City for example is home to about 18,000 tortilla shops, according to the Mexican statistics institute INEGI.
However, only about 10 percent of them are legally registered, figures from the city government show.
Without access to the formal financial system, many of them prefer dealing in cash.
A 2021 survey by the Mexican National Banking and Securities Commission found that 64 percent of Mexicans preferred notes and coins over debit or credit cards.
Maria Adelaida Francisco, who works in a tortilla shop in Mexico City, had never used a financial application until her boss Jorge Ramirez suggested she try the new one.
Now the 40-year-old uses it to pay her electricity bill, she said.
Some tortilla producers avoid banks for fear of paperwork or debts.
“They’re a bit scared of the tax issue or they don’t know about it,” Ramirez, 35, said.
Several of his eight employees now use the application to collect their salaries.
The change reflects a wider embrace of financial technology in Latin America’s second-largest economy.
A study by the Inter-American Development Bank and the venture capital company Finnovista showed that Mexico is home to 20 percent of the region’s financial technology ventures, behind only Brazil.
The number of fintech start-ups in Latin America and the Caribbean increased more than four-fold between 2017 and last year, to 3,069 across 26 countries, the report said.
Despite the advances, the financial inclusion of Mexico’s tortilla makers is still “zero,” National Tortilla Council president Lopez Garcia said.
“The banks don’t believe in the industry,” he said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his