Foreign investors pulled a record amount of money from China last quarter, likely reflecting deep pessimism about the world’s second-largest economy.
China’s direct investment liabilities in its balance of payments dropped almost US$15 billion in the April-to-June period, marking only the second time this figure has turned negative, data from the Chinese State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE) released on Friday showed. It was down about US$5 billion for the first six months.
Should the decline continue for the rest of the year, it would be the first annual net outflow since at least 1990, when comparable data began.
Photo: Bloomberg
Foreign investment into China has slumped in recent years after hitting a record US$344 billion in 2021. The slowdown in the economy and rising geopolitical tensions have led some companies to reduce their exposure, and the rapid shift to electric vehicles in China also caught foreign auto firms off guard, prompting some to withdraw or scale back their investments.
The fall comes despite Beijing’s growing efforts to attract and retain foreign investment, following the smallest increase on record last year.
SAFE’s data, which track net flows, can reflect trends in foreign company profits, as well as changes in the size of their operations in China. Multinationals have more reason to keep cash abroad rather than in China, as advanced economies have been raising interest rates while Beijing is lowering them to stimulate the economy.
Earlier figures from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce showed that new foreign direct investment in the first half of the year was the lowest since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
Chinese outbound investment also hit a record, with firms sending US$71 billion overseas in the second quarter, up more than 80 percent from the US$39 billion in the same period last year, SAFE’s data showed.
Chinese firms have been rapidly stepping up investment, with money going into projects such as electric vehicle and battery factories.
The data also showed that the anomaly in the measurement of China’s trade surplus continues to grow, hitting a record US$87 billion in the second quarter and taking it to almost US$150 billion for the first half of the year. That gap was highlighted by the US Department of the Treasury earlier this year in a report that called on China to clarify why the numbers were so different.
According to a recent report from the IMF, this discrepancy “seems to be mainly caused by the different methodologies used to record exports and imports of goods.”
The gap has grown after a switch two years ago in what data the Chinese authorities were using, and was also boosted by a recent increase in production in bonded zones by foreign firms.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his