Global stocks rose in jittery trading yesterday, as the uncertainty generated by the previous day's aggressive selloff weighed on investor sentiment, even though central bank officials said all the right things to soothe nerves.
The Nikkei 225 index's 10 percent rebound in Tokyo delivered an initial sense of relief after its 12.4 percent drop on Monday — its biggest daily sell-off since the 1987 Black Monday crash.
European markets see-sawed, with the pan-regional STOXX 600 bouncing between a daily loss of 0.4 percent and a gain of 1 percent, while US stock futures remained volatile.
Photo: CNA
Wall Street's main indexes opened higher in volatile trading early yesterday, as investors looked for bargains after a rout in the previous session when major indices fell more than 2.5 percent.
Elsewhere in Asia, Taiwan’s TAIEX closed up 670.14 points, or 3.38 percent, at 20,501.02, led by large cap semiconductor stocks including Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (台積電) and MediaTek Inc (聯發科). The index fell 8.35 percent on Monday.
South Korea’s KOSPI Composite Index rose 3.3 percent to 2,522.15. It had careened 8.8 percent lower on Monday.
Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index gave up early gains to close 0.3 percent lower at 16,647.34. The Shanghai Composite Index, largely bypassed by Monday’s drama, rose 0.2 percent to 2,867.28.
In Australia, the S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.4 percent to 7,680.60 as the central bank kept its main interest rate unchanged, while the SET index in Bangkok gained 0.3 percent.
“If you wake up in the morning to discover that Japan is down 10-12 percent, it’s going to scare the daylights out of the sanest person in the world, so it’s understandable that people take flight,” IG Group PLC chief market strategist Chris Beauchamp said.
“On the flip side, I think people got a bit carried away yesterday and it always seems very dramatic at the time,” he said. “It’s normal to see weakness this time of year. The question is — was that enough to reset markets or is there going to be more?”
US Federal Reserve officials sought to reassure markets with San Francisco Fed President Mary Daly saying it was “extremely important” to prevent the labor market from tipping into a downturn.
She said her mind was open to cutting interest rates as necessary and policy needed to be proactive.
The US dollar fended off a mid-morning bout of selling to rise 0.7 percent against the Japanese yen to ¥145.255, having touched a session low of ¥143.63 earlier. It dropped 1.5 percent on Monday to as deep as ¥141.675.
The US dollar also rose against the safe-haven Swiss franc, up 0.4 percent at SF0.8553, while sterling, which often benefits from investor risk appetite, fell 0.6 percent to US$1.269.
US Treasury yields rose, partly in reaction to a rebound in the US ISM services index to 51.4 for last month, but in line with the shift across other markets yesterday. Benchmark 10-year notes were up 7.5 basis points to yield 3.8578 percent.
“Gauging the bottom of such historic sell-offs is complicated and investors will most likely remain cautious before pouring capital back into equity markets,” Convera Europe SA global macro strategist Boris Kovacevic said in Austria.
“However, the dollar-yen pair has now fallen 12 percent since peaking five weeks ago and is in highly oversold territory. The yen is therefore vulnerable to any upside surprises in US macro data leading investors to reconsider the recession trade. This would help Japanese equities stabilize,” he said.
Additional reporting by CNA and AP
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his