After a jam-packed week of earnings reports from megacap technology companies, one thing is clear: As profits slow, investors are not impressed by artificial intelligence (AI) promises anymore. They want to see results.
With six companies inside a group known as the “Magnificent Seven” already having reported, year-on-year earnings growth has slowed to nearly 30 percent in the second quarter, down from 50 percent in the previous period.
Analysts said they expect that rate to decelerate further, to about 17 percent for those companies in the third quarter.
Photo: Bloomberg
Results from Microsoft Corp, Meta Platforms Inc, Amazon.com Inc and Apple Inc last week signaled that the biggest companies in the world are still heavily investing in AI.
However, shares of Microsoft and Amazon slid after their reports because of fears that those AI investments are not paying off for them — at least not yet — echoing the slip in Alphabet Inc’s stock a week earlier.
“Investors are entering a ‘show me’ phase, seeking concrete evidence of AI’s impact on revenue and productivity,” 50 Park Investments founder and CEO Adam Sarhan said. “This is causing some skepticism and volatility.”
Tesla Inc’s July 24 report also disappointed investors, while Nvidia Corp is due to release results later this month. The latest prints and commentary this week added to existing volatility.
Investors had already been shifting from large, trusted stocks into smaller, riskier parts of the market to lessen exposure to Big Tech.
The earnings results, combined with the US Federal Reserve signaling that a September rate cut might be on the table and a weaker-than-expected jobs report sent the NASDAQ 100 Index spiraling.
On Friday, the tech-heavy index closed down 11 percent from its peak last month, entering a correction. Investors fled AI stocks and bid up bonds, sending US Treasury yields lower.
The bond market is “telling us we’re going to have to bring this sucker down real fast, and that’s kind of worrying everybody,” Bokeh Capital Partners LLC chief investment officer Kim Forrest said. “Lower interest rates work for equities, except when it’s being done in a hurry because things are bad.”
Amazon’s results, alongside reports from consumer names such as McDonald’s Corp and Starbucks Corp signaled a weakening US consumer, adding to concerns about a weaker macroeconomic backdrop, she said.
Investors were already concerned about hype versus reality in the tech sector, which contributed to sharp reactions when major companies underperformed, NFJ Investment Group LLC managing director Burns McKinney said.
“Some of the earnings results that have come in over the last couple of weeks have reminded investors that there’s a lot of really high expectations baked into these valuations,” he said.
There were some bright spots last week that signaled the AI trade is not completely dead.
Investors cheered Meta’s results, including comments from chief executive officer Mark Zuckerberg that signaled investments in AI helped drive targeted ad sales. Advanced Micro Devices Inc spurred a rally in chip stocks on Wednesday last week after it gave a rosy revenue forecast.
“Essentially what companies are saying is that they have to do this and if they don’t, they could risk being irrelevant in the future,” Deepwater Asset Management LLC managing partner Gene Munster said of the increased capital expenditures on AI.
The sharp market reaction does not necessarily mean the AI trade is over, Sarhan said.
“Instead, it suggests a recalibration of expectations,” he said. “We’re seeing a shift from pure hype to a demand for tangible results.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his