Apple Inc said it predicts that its new artificial intelligence (AI) features would spur iPhone upgrades in coming months, helping the company re-emerge from a sales slowdown that has hit its China business especially hard.
Apple Intelligence features would provide a fresh reason to buy new phones, Apple CEO Tim Cook said during an investors’ conference call on Thursday.
“It will be a very key time for a compelling upgrade cycle,” he said.
Photo: Bloomberg
The remarks followed generally upbeat third-quarter results that were marred by sluggish sales in China. Apple returned to revenue growth in the period, which ended June 29, with an increase of 5 percent to US$85.8 billion. That beat the US$84.5 billion analyst estimate.
However, sales from China fell 6.5 percent to US$14.7 billion, missing the US$15.3 billion projection from Wall Street.
The China results rekindled fears that Apple is losing ground in one of its most important overseas markets. The company is up against fiercer competition in the region, and the government has reined in the use of foreign technology in some workplaces. Chinese economic growth also has worsened.
Apple attributed much of the decline to the impact of a strong US dollar, saying that the underlying business in China is actually healthier than before.
“We do realize it’s a very competitive smartphone market, but we feel we are doing quite well within the context of the broader economy,” Apple chief financial officer Luca Maestri told Bloomberg Television, adding that Apple still has faith in the market.
“I don’t know how every chapter of the book reads, but we’re very confident in the long term,” he said.
Apple said that total sales in the September quarter would grow at a similar level as the just-ended period, implying an increase of about 5 percent. Wall Street has projected a 4 percent clip.
Services would be a highlight in the period, advancing in the double digits, executives said.
Earnings amounted to US$1.40 per share in the third quarter, exceeding the US$1.35 analysts had estimated. The period ending in June is typically one of Apple’s slowest, coming at a time when many customers are waiting for the next iPhone to arrive in the fall.
Sales of the iPhone, came in at US$39.3 billion. Although the number was down slightly from a year earlier, it edged past Wall Street expectations. Three months ago, the company declined to forecast iPhone revenue for the June period — a signal it was still unsure about the shaky smartphone market.
Its iPad business benefited from the long-awaited release of new models. Apple introduced major upgrades in May after a sluggish stretch for the tablet lineup.
The new products included a pricier iPad Pro with an M4 chip and faster version of the iPad Air with a bigger screen option.
The company reported US$7.16 billion in revenue from the category, up 24 percent, beating the US$6.6 billion estimate.
Apple previously said it expected the iPad to grow by a percentage in the double digits during the June period — something it easily accomplished. For several months, some customers and schools had been holding out on iPad purchases in expectation of the new models.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his