Tesla Inc on Tuesday reported a hefty drop in second-quarter profits due to the effect of price cuts while spending aggressively on autonomous driving and other technology.
Elon Musk’s electric vehicle (EV) company reported profits of US$1.5 billion, down 45 percent, on revenues of US$25.5 billion, which were up two percent behind an increase in its energy generation and storage business.
Tesla’s earnings per share missed analyst expectations, while revenues exceeded them.
Photo: Eduardo Munoz, Reuters
The results are the latest in a rough patch for Musk’s EV titan as it contends with rising competitive pressures that prompted a string of price cuts across leading markets.
Tesla laid off 10 percent of its global staff this year — about 14,000 workers — as part of a push to cull expenses to finance major new investments.
That reorganization also resulted in one-time expenses of US$622 million in the second quarter due to severance and other costs, chief financial officer Vaibhav Taneja said.
While vehicle sales fell compared to the year-ago period, they rose from the level in the first quarter as “overall consumer sentiment improved,” Tesla said in its earnings presentation.
Although Tesla reaffirmed its expectation that vehicle volume growth may be “notably lower” than last year’s, it said new, more affordable models are set to begin production in the first half of next year.
Musk announced the accelerated timeframe in April, winning cheers from Wall Street which had sought fresh offerings.
However, he declined on Tuesday to offer new details, saying the topic would be covered in a product launch event.
Tesla said its iconoclastic Cybertruck vehicle remains on track for profitability by the end of this year as it ramps up production.
Tesla vowed to press on with technological pushes in artificial intelligence (AI) and autonomous driving.
The company postponed this month a much-anticipated robotaxi event planned for next month until October.
Musk told a conference call that “moving it back a few months allowed us to improve the robotaxi as well as add in a couple other things for the product unveil” now set for Oct. 10.
The outspoken Musk has a history of making bold predictions about the prospects for autonomous vehicles. But he has fallen short of projections about the timeframe for self-driving technology, after previously predicting the company would achieve the breakthrough by 2018.
Musk acknowledged his “overly optimistic” prior forecasts but said he expects the robotaxi could achieve full autonomy by the end of this year, adding “I would be shocked if we cannot do it next year.”
The results come as Musk has lately deepened his commitment to electoral politics, coming out loudly for Donald Trump in this year’s presidential election despite the former president’s longstanding denial of climate change — which has been a professed Musk priority.
Musk formally endorsed Trump on July 13 shortly after a shock assassination attempt on the Republican presidential nominee.
Musk has agreed to donate US$45 million monthly to America PAC, a fund focused on electing Trump, starting this month, the Wall Street Journal reported this month.
But the Tesla chief acknowledged that a Trump victory might affect a plan announced in March last year to build a new Gigafactory in Mexico, given that the Republican candidate has vowed “heavy” tariffs on Mexican goods.
“I think we need to see just where things stand after the election,” Musk said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his