Venice on Sunday wrapped up a pilot program charging day-trippers an entrance fee, more than 2 million euros (US$2.18 million) richer and determined to extend the levy, but opponents in the fragile lagoon city called the experiment a failure.
Several dozen demonstrators on Saturday gathered outside the Venezia Santa Lucia train station overlooking a teeming canal to protest the 5 euro levy that they say did little to dissuade visitors from arriving on peak days, as envisioned.
“The ticket is a failure, as demonstrated by city data,” said Giovanni Andrea Martini, an opposition city council member.
Photo: Reuters
Over the first 11 days of the trial period, an average of 75,000 visitors were recorded in the city.
That was 10,000 more each day than on three indicative holidays last year, Martini said, citing figures provided by the city based on cellphone data that tracks arrivals in the city.
Venice imposed the long-discussed day-tripper tax on 29 days this year, mostly weekends and holidays, from April 25 through the middle of this month.
Photo: Luca Bruno, AP
The project, delayed by the COVID-19 pandemic, was heralded by UNESCO member states when they decided against a recommendation to place the city on its list of world heritage sites in danger.
Over the past two-and-a-half months, nearly 450,000 tourists have paid the tax, raising revenue of about 2.2 million euros, according to calculations based on data supplied by the city.
The money would be used for essential services, which cost more in a city traversed by canals, including trash removal and maintenance, officials said.
The levy was not applied to people staying in hotels in Venice, who are already charged a lodging tax. Exemptions also applied to children younger than 14, residents of the region, students, workers and people visiting relatives, among others.
Venice Deputy Mayor for Social Welfare, Tourism, Health and Economic Development Simone Venturini, has indicated that the levy would be continued and reinforced.
A proposal to double the fee to 10 euros is being considered for next year, a city spokesman said.
Officials promised steep fines for scofflaws, but in the end none was given during checks at entry points, which varied from a low of 8,500 to a high 20,800 a day over the period.
City officials said that is because they wanted a soft launch.
Critics say it resulted in a downward trend in payments as visitors understood there was no risk in avoiding the payment.
Opponents of the plan say it failed to make the city more livable for residents, as intended, with the narrow walkways and water taxis as crowded as ever.
They want policies that encourage repopulation of Venice’s historic center, which has been losing residents to the more convenient mainland for decades, including placing limits on short-term rentals.
More tourist beds are in the canaled historic center than official residents, whose numbers stand at an all-time low of 50,000.
“Wanting to raise this to 10 euros, is absolutely useless. It makes Venice a museum,” Martini said.
Many of the banners at Saturday’s protest also indicated growing concern about the system of electronic and video surveillance that the city introduced in 2020 to monitor cellphone data of people arriving in the city, which is the backbone of the system to control tourism.
Placards included warnings about use of personal data and a lack of data privacy.
“The access ticket is a great distraction for the media, which only speaks about this 5 euros, which will become 10 euros next year,” said Giovanni Di Vito, a Venice resident active in the campaign against the tourist tax. “But no one is focusing on the system for surveillance and control of citizens.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his