NASDAQ Inc is once again increasing scrutiny of small initial public offerings (IPOs) from China and Hong Kong to avoid a repeat of the wild swings that followed a handful of deals two years ago, people familiar with the matter said.
Several Hong Kong and China-based IPO applicants have faced a series of questions from NASDAQ, the people said. Questions centered on the identity and independence of the firms’ pre-IPO investors selling shares, the people said.
A growing number of small firms from China and Hong Kong are turning to the NASDAQ to raise money, even as geopolitical tensions rise ahead of the US election. China has relaxed its grip on overseas listings, offering a lifeline to firms unable to tap funding at home amid a prolonged market slump. Hong Kong’s small-cap exchange was effectively closed for years until earlier this month, making NASDAQ an attractive alternative.
Photo: Reuters
The heightened grilling comes after several micro-cap stocks from China and Hong Kong, including AMTD Digital Inc (尚乘數科) and Addentax Group Corp (盈喜集團), surged as much as 32,000 percent in their 2022 trading debuts, only to crash in the ensuing weeks. That prompted a round of questioning in New York at the time.
No IPOs have so far been halted due to the heightened queries, but the process has been lengthened by weeks, adding uncertainty and costs to what is normally a quick review, the people said. They declined to name any of the companies facing scrutiny.
About 20 companies from China and Hong Kong have floated shares on NASDAQ this year, raising a combined US$195 million. Recent listings include Jiade Ltd (課標科技), a Chinese education software firm, and personal care company Raytech Holding Ltd (雷特控股). NIP Group Inc (星競威武集團), an e-sports company backed by a Hong Kong pop star, recently filed an IPO application.
Jiade is down 77 percent since listing last month and Raytech is down about 15 percent.
As part of the review, NASDAQ officials have asked about the backgrounds of the selling shareholders, their ties and history with the company and to each other. In some cases, NASDAQ required documentation to support the valuation of the private shares, as well as bank documents to prove money actually changed hands in the purchase, the people said.
These types of questions were rare in the past, despite long-standing rules governing selling shareholders, the people said. There has been a noticeable increase in companies registering their pre-IPO investors to fulfill the minimum public-float requirements.
Proving investor independence is essential to allay any suspicions of orchestrated pump-and-dump moves shortly after listing, the people said. The exchange is also seeking to ensure US-based investors make up the majority of these Asia-originated IPOs, the people said.
IPO hopefuls getting targeted inquiries are mostly those qualifying under the “equity standard” or “market value of listed securities standard,” the people said. The two streams — both requiring a minimum public float of US$15 million — are often preferred by smaller companies that cannot meet the net income standard of US$750,000 in annual profit in the past three years.Even so, the path is still easier than in Hong Kong.
“NASDAQ remains a desirable choice over Hong Kong for its low listing threshold, cost, time required and certainty from the disclosure-based system, despite recent scrutiny denting the edge a bit,” said Gordon Tsang (曾浩賢), a partner at Hong Kong-based law firm Stevenson, Wong & Co, who has advised about 10 NASDAQ deals.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his