The Ministry of Finance and state-run lenders are discussing measures to crack down on property speculation and the misuse of favorable lending terms intended for first-time home buyers and self-occupancy.
The ministry on Monday exchanged views with ranking officials from eight state-run banks. They are to meet again today to establish rules to prevent abuse of the stimulus program.
In August last year, the ministry refined its preferential program that offers people buying their first home a favorable interest rate of 1.775 percent, a five-year grace period and mortgages for up to 40 years. The interest subsidy lasts for three years for mortgages capped at NT$12 million (US$370,405).
Photo: CNA
The program has since helped the housing market emerge from a slowdown induced by the government’s selective credit controls, interest rate hikes, tightened income taxes on short-term property transactions and a ban on transfers of presale house purchase agreements.
Minister of Finance Chuang Tsui-yun (莊翠雲) on Monday reportedly urged state-run lenders to tighten reviews of mortgage applications to root out dummy buyers and request affidavits stating that those taking out a loan would not lease their house or use it for investment purposes.
Those found to have misused the program would have their favorable lending terms revoked and would have to return the interest subsidy, people from the state-run lenders said, adding that interest rates vary for borrowers depending on their credit profile.
Critics of the program say housing prices have increased at a rate that outweighs the benefits of the stimulus, and buyers, especially young people, could find it difficult to shoulder their mortgage once the interest subsidy and grace period expire.
Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) yesterday said that the Executive Yuan would conduct a thorough review of the program next week.
For a mortgage of NT$10 million, monthly payments amount to NT$31,983 under favorable lending terms, H&B Business Group (住商不動產) research head Jessica Hsu (徐佳馨) said.
The monthly payment would rise by NT$2,101 without the interest subsidy, a sizeable increase for average borrowers, Hsu said.
The average price of houses assessed by banks nationwide climbed to a new high of NT$13.55 million in the first quarter, suggesting a spike of NT$2.35 million from 2019, Chinatrust Real Estate Co (中信房屋) said yesterday, citing data from the Joint Credit Information Center (金融聯合徵信中心).
Kaohsiung reported the steepest advance of 30.1 percent, followed by Taoyuan’s 30 percent, as the two administrations have improved their infrastructure, Chinatrust said.
Kaohsiung reported largest number of home deals under NT$12 million between August last year and this month, as major tech firms are building new plants in the southern city, Great Home Realty Co (大家房屋) said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort