Some of the world’s biggest tech companies pledged to work together to guard against the dangers of artificial intelligence (AI) as they wrapped up a two-day AI summit, also attended by multiple governments, in Seoul.
Sector leaders from South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co to Google promised at the event, cohosted with the UK, to “minimize risks” and develop new AI models responsibly, even as they push to move the field forward.
The fresh commitment, codified in a “Seoul AI Business Pledge” yesterday, plus a new round of safety commitments announced the previous day, build on the consensus reached at the inaugural global AI safety summit at Bletchley Park in England last year.
Photo: AP
Tuesday’s commitment saw companies, including OpenAI and Google DeepMind Technologies, promise to share how they assess the risks of their technologies — including those “deemed intolerable” and how they would ensure such thresholds are not crossed.
However, experts said it is hard for regulators to understand and manage AI when the sector is developing so rapidly.
“I think that’s a really, really big problem,” said Markus Anderljung, head of policy at the Centre for the Governance of AI, a non-profit research organization based in Oxford, England.
“Dealing with AI, I expect to be one of the biggest challenges that governments all across the world will have over the next couple of decades,” Anderljung said. “The world will need to have some kind of joint understanding of what are the risks from these sort of most advanced general models.”
UK Secretary of State for Science, Innovation and Technology Michelle Donelan yesterday said in Seoul that “as the pace of AI development accelerates, we must match that speed ... if we are to grip the risks.”
There would be more opportunities at the next AI summit in France to “push the boundaries” in terms of testing and evaluating new technology, she said.
“Simultaneously, we must turn our attention to risk mitigation outside these models, ensuring that society ... becomes resilient to the risks posed by AI,” Donelan said.
The stratospheric success of ChatGPT soon after its 2022 release sparked a gold rush in generative AI, with tech firms around the world pouring billions of dollars into developing their own models.
Such AI models can generate text, photographs, audio and even video footage from simple prompts, and its proponents have heralded them as breakthroughs that would improve lives and businesses around the world.
However, critics, rights activists and governments have said that they can be misused in a wide variety of ways, including the manipulation of voters through “deepfake” pictures and videos of politicians.
Many have called for international standards to govern the development and use of AI.
“I think there’s increased realization that we need global cooperation to really think about the issues and harms of artificial intelligence. AI doesn’t know borders,” said Rumman Chowdhury, an AI ethics expert and founder of Humane Intelligence, an independent non-profit that evaluates and assesses AI models.
It is not just the “runaway AI” of science fiction nightmares that is a huge concern, but issues such as rampant inequality in the sector, Chowdhury said in Seoul.
“All AI is just built, developed and the profits reaped [by] very, very few people and organizations,” she said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his