China has signaled it is ready to unleash tariffs as high as 25 percent on imported vehicles with large engines, as trade tensions escalate with the US and EU.
The China Chamber of Commerce to the EU said in a statement on X that it was informed about the potential move by “insiders.”
The levies would affect European and US automakers and have a “significant” impact on relations with the EU, it said.
Photo: AFP
Beijing is ramping up threats of retaliation as a deadline looms for the EU to announce the results of its probe into China’s electric vehicle (EV) subsidies. The bloc must inform Chinese exporters whether it intends to impose tariffs by early next month, and they could go into effect a month later, Eurasia Group has said.
“China’s retaliatory trade investigations and warnings are not deterring the EU,” Eurasia Group analysts wrote in a note on Tuesday. “Brussels is eager to send a strong signal to Beijing with its EV probe that the EU will counteract Chinese subsidies and overcapacity.”
The commerce chamber referred to an interview published by the Chinese Communist Party’s Global Times newspaper on Tuesday in which Liu Bin (劉斌), chief expert at the China Automotive Technology & Research Center, called for temporarily increasing the tariff rate on vehicles with engines larger than 2.5 liters.
China imported 250,000 vehicles in that bracket last year and WTO rules would permit a tariff of up to 25 percent, the report cited Liu as saying.
The charge on passenger vehicle imports from Europe is currently 15 percent, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce’s tariff search page showed.
The automakers most impacted would be Mercedes-Benz Group AG, Toyota Motor Corp and BMW AG, said Daniel Kollar, head of consultancy Intralink’s automotive and mobility practice.
In addition to the jab at the auto trade, China has hinted it could impose tit-for-tat levies on European wine and dairy products, and has begun an investigation into European exports of brandy.
Amid global concern about China’s surging exports, the EV industry is drawing especially close attention. China produces more EVs than anywhere else, and controls a majority of the battery supply chain.
With a price war and slowing economy at home, its automakers are seeking to expand overseas. They exported 1.55 million EVs last year, about 40 percent of them to Europe.
US President Joe Biden’s administration earlier this month announced 100 percent tariffs on Chinese EVs, while the EU is investigating Beijing’s subsidies across a range of industries, which has prompted Chinese firms to pull out of rail and energy tenders.
“Certain countries and regions have taken restrictive measures in the new-energy vehicle sector, which run counter to the green development concept,” Liu said in the Global Times interview. “Such measures will only hurt the interests of their own consumers.”
US Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen said on Tuesday she was pushing for G7 allies at a finance ministers meeting in Italy to jointly push back on China's industrial policies, although she said she was not asking them to mirror the new US tariffs.
The G7 industrial democracies are the US, Japan, Germany, France, Britain, Italy and Canada.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his