The US has revoked licenses allowing Huawei Technologies Co (華為) to buy semiconductors from Qualcomm Inc and Intel Corp, people familiar with the matter said, further tightening export restrictions against the Chinese telecom equipment maker.
Withdrawal of the licenses affects US sales of chips for use in Huawei phones and laptops, said the people, who discussed the move on condition of anonymity.
US House of Representative Committee on Foreign Affairs Chairman Michael McCaul confirmed the administration’s decision in an interview on Tuesday.
Photo: Reuters
He said the move is key to preventing China from developing advanced artificial intelligence.
“It’s blocking any chips sold to Huawei,” said McCaul, a Texas Republican who was briefed about the license decisions for Intel and Qualcomm. “Those are two companies we’ve always worried about being a little too close to China.”
While the decision might not affect a significant volume of chips, it underscores the US government’s determination to curtail China’s access to a broad swathe of semiconductor technology.
Officials are also considering sanctions against six Chinese firms that they suspect could supply chips to Huawei, which has been on a US trade restrictions list since 2019.
Intel expects revenue to fall “below the midpoint” of its previously guided range of US$12.5 billion to US$13.5 billion in the second quarter due to the ban, it said in a statement yesterday.
Intel shares fell 2.4 percent to US$29.95 at 9:32am in New York. Shares of Qualcomm and rival chipmakers Advanced Micro Devices Inc and Nvidia Corp also declined following Intel’s announcement.
Withdrawing the export licenses is “economic coercion” and violates WTO rules, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce said in a statement yesterday.
The US Department of Commerce confirmed the withdrawal of “certain licenses” for exports to Huawei, but declined to offer specifics.
US President Joe Biden’s administration has come under pressure to do more to stop Huawei and other Chinese tech companies after signs of progress in the country’s semiconductor development.
“We continuously assess how our controls can best protect our national security and foreign policy interests,” the agency said in a statement on Tuesday.
Qualcomm recently said that its business with Huawei is already limited and would soon shrink to nothing. It has been allowed to supply the Chinese company with chips that provide older 4G network connections. It is prohibited from selling ones that allow more advanced 5G access.
Huawei does not rank in Qualcomm’s list of top 10 customers, a Bloomberg supply chain analysis shows. It also does not feature in Intel’s list of top customers.
The US is also pressing allies, including Japan, the Netherlands, South Korea and Germany, to tighten curbs on selling and maintaining chip manufacturing tools in China — with Huawei as the main target of that effort.
McCaul and other Republican lawmakers, including Senator Marco Rubio, have urged the commerce department to revoke licenses for companies to sell chips to Huawei. Their calls escalated after Huawei in August last year unveiled a smartphone powered by an advanced, made-in-China processor.
The Biden administration has opened a probe into the “purported” 7-nanometer chip, which a Bloomberg teardown revealed was made by Chinese chipmaker Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (中芯).
The chip was manufactured using Dutch and American technology, Bloomberg has reported, indicating that China is still reliant on foreign tools to produce its most advanced semiconductors despite Beijing’s efforts to build a full domestic supply chain.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his