South Korea’s financial watchdog said it has so far uncovered 211.2 billion won (US$156 million) worth of illegal short trades by nine global investment banks, providing its latest formal update on a probe that began late last year.
The nine banks, whose names were not disclosed, violated mostly procedural rules while collectively shorting 164 stocks, a Financial Supervisory Service (FSS) briefing said. It is continuing to probe five other banks in the matter.
Two of the nine banks are already facing penalties imposed by the financial authorities and have been referred to prosecutors for further investigation for allegedly violating the nation’s capital markets law, FSS Senior Deputy Governor Hahm Yong-il told reporters on Friday. The watchdog plans to review penalties on the other seven banks.
Photo: AP
Activities of global banks and hedge funds have come under increased scrutiny in recent months in South Korea, as authorities boost steps to weed out naked short selling — a practice of selling shares without even borrowing them first. While short selling remains legal in many markets, it is a contentious political issue in the emerging Asian nation, with its powerful retail investors often blaming it for stock declines.
Describing the practice as “rampant,” authorities in November last year imposed a ban on all forms of short-selling until the end of next month, inviting criticism from some investors that the move would hurt the market’s appeal among global funds.
At the same time, a special team was formed to probe all short-selling activities by major global investment banks since May 2021 — when South Korea partially lifted a pandemic-era ban and allowed the resumption of short selling in stocks on the KOSPI 200 Index and the KOSDAQ 150 Index.
Most short-selling trades by global banks in South Korea are aimed at hedging their swap contracts with their end clients, the FSS said.
Europe-headquartered banks committed more breaches compared to those based in the US, and most trades under investigation were conducted from their Hong Kong offices, Hahm said. FSS officials plan to visit Hong Kong later this month to update global banks on South Korea’s regulations related to short-selling.
Overall, the 14 banks being probed by authorities accounted for 90 percent of short-selling trades by overseas firms in the country, the FSS said.
Regulators are also developing a platform to monitor short-selling that can help identify illegal transactions, it said.
The probe launch came after authorities in October last year accused two global banks of “routinely and intentionally” breaching short-selling rules in trades totaling 56 billion won. Then in December, BNP Paribas SA and HSBC Holdings PLC were fined by regulators for claims tied to short selling.
In March, HSBC’s Hong Kong unit and three of its traders were indicted by prosecutors. Credit Suisse Group AG, which was acquired by UBS Group AG, is also facing a fine, South Korean media reported earlier this month.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his