Seoul has urged Tokyo not to discriminate against South Korean companies, the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday, after reports that technology giant Naver Corp is under pressure to sell its stake in Japan’s top messaging app.
South Korea’s Naver developed Line 13 years ago and now has more than 95 million users. It is also popular in Taiwan and Southeast Asia.
The app is operated in Japan by LY Corp, which is majority-owned by A Holdings, a joint venture between Naver and Japanese investment firm Softbank Group Corp.
Photo credit: REUTERS
Japanese reports last week said that Tokyo had demanded LY Corp review its relationship with Naver, with the Kyodo news agency saying Softbank was in talks to buy Naver’s LY Corp shares.
“We maintain a firm stance that there should be no discriminatory measures against South Korean companies,” the ministry said in a statement.
The South Korean government plans to discuss the matter with Naver “if necessary,” it said.
Line has been under scrutiny in Japan over a data leak involving more than 500,000 records last year, which prompted the Japanese Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications to issue administrative guidance.
Line’s “strong dependence on Naver in terms of systems and network configuration” was among the causes of the leak, the Nikkei reported the ministry as saying.
“This relationship has also made it difficult for your company to demand appropriate safety measures from Naver and to implement proper management,” it said, referring to LY Corp.
One of South Korea’s biggest technology companies, Naver, and its myriad services — including Google-like maps, financial services similar to Apple Pay, and popular blogs and chat forums — are used daily by many South Koreans.
The unfolding situation is a “mismatch” for South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol, who has been trying to improve ties with Japan in the face of military threats from North Korea, Sejong University business professor Kim Dae-jong said.
“Under global standards, countries do not demand companies forsake their shares — just like we don’t demand Facebook sell theirs over privacy concerns. Japan should follow such standards,” Kim said.
However, Seoul is not in position to block the deal as it does not involve national security, he said.
Naver declined to comment.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his