The EU yesterday announced a probe into China’s medical devices market, prompting an immediate accusation from Beijing that the bloc was engaging in “protectionism.”
Brussels fears China is favoring its own suppliers when it comes to the procurement of medical devices. The EU’s official administrative journal, announcing the probe, set out ways that could be happening, including through a “Buy China” policy.
The EU also has concerns that China might have restrictions on imports as well as imposing conditions “leading to abnormally low bids that cannot be sustained by profit-oriented companies,” the notice in the journal said.
Photo: Reuters
Beijing lashed out at the investigation, with Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) saying it would “damage the EU’s image.”
“All the outside world sees is it [the EU] gradually moving towards protectionism,” Wang said, calling on Brussels to “stop using any excuse to groundlessly suppress and restrict Chinese business.”
China’s medical devices market is the second largest after the US, worth about 135 billion euros (US$144 billion) in 2022, according to a report by China-focused think tank Mercator Institute for China Studies last year.
The EU probe is the first under the bloc’s International Procurement Instrument which seeks to promote reciprocity in access to international public procurement markets.
“The ... restrictive measures and practices put at a significant and systemic disadvantage Union [EU] economic operators, goods and services as they systematically favor the procurement of domestic products to the detriment of imported ones,” the official journal said.
If the investigation finds unfair behavior by China, the EU can limit Chinese companies’ access to the 27-nation bloc’s public procurement market.
The investigation is to conclude within nine months, although the European Commission can extend this by another five months, the journal said.
Beijing is “invited to submit its views and to provide relevant information” and can hold consultations with the European Commission — the EU’s trade authority — “to eliminate or remedy the alleged measures and practices,” the text said.
Brussels has launched a wave of investigations targeting China over the past few months, looking into green tech subsidies, and the EU also provoked Beijing’s ire earlier this month after announcing an investigation into Chinese wind turbine suppliers.
Other probes have focused on Chinese subsidies for solar panels, electric vehicles and trains as Brussels seeks to move away from excessive reliance on cheaper Chinese technology.
The latest investigation was announced after German authorities arrested an aide to a far-right German Member of the European Parliament Maximilian Krah on suspicion of spying for China.
On Tuesday, the commission announced surprise raids were carried out in the EU offices of an unidentified company that makes and sells “security equipment” as part of a probe into foreign subsidies.
The Chinese chamber of commerce in the EU denounced the raids in the Netherlands and Poland.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his