With the flow of new recruits into the seafaring sector drying up, a German company is exploring a potentially revolutionary measure — sending ships off without a captain on board.
HGK Shipping GmbH, based in Germany’s Port of Duisburg, is testing remote navigation from a control center on land.
Driverless vessels are “the only solution to survive as an industry,” HGK CEO Steffen Bauer said.
Photo: AFP
The average captain’s age on HGK’s 350 vessels is about 55, said Bauer, whose company claims to be the leading river cargo operator in Europe.
“If we do nothing, we’ll lose 30 percent of our sailors by 2030,” he said.
In search of a solution, HGK has signed a partnership agreement with the Belgian start-up Seafar NV, a leader in the emerging field of autonomous navigation.
Founded in 2019, Seafar already operates four pilotless vessels in Belgium and has just opened an office in Germany, which represents 30 percent of Europe’s inland shipping.
The crewless ships are guided from a control center, turning navigation from grueling work into a potentially more attractive office job.
“There is a market for remote-controlled ships,” Seafar commercial director Janis Bargsten said, adding that establishing a regulatory framework would take less time than perfecting the technology.
In Duisburg, Seafar and HGK have already created a center for autonomous navigation and are awaiting the approval of the German authorities to launch their first vessels. In the initial test phase, two captains would remain on board the remotely guided ships.
The longer-term aim is to eliminate the captain’s role completely while still keeping some crew on board, Bauer said.
The technology is similar to those used in self-driving vehicles: The ships are fitted with sensors, cameras, radar, and light detection and ranging imaging, transmitting data in real time to the command center.
“Everything is as it would be on board a ship,” navigator Patrick Hertoge said in Duisburg next to 10 monitors displaying the status of an autonomous barge on its way to Hamburg.
After 30 years skippering his own barge, 58-year-old Hertoge was recruited by Seafar to work on the autonomous shipping project.
The son of two sailors, he sold his vessel and found a home on dry land for the first time in his life, he said.
“On a boat, you are on standby 24 hours a day, but here, after eight hours, I can go home,” he said.
Seafar wants to start more pilot schemes in Europe and is in “advanced” talks with the French inland waterways authority.
It is also planning a test project in the Baltic Sea, Bargsten said.
Autonomous navigation could bring “significant relief” to an industry under pressure, but would not solve “all problems a Federal Association of German Inland Navigation spokesman said.
“New questions of responsibility” require legal clarification, he said.
In the event of a technical problem, Seafar would be liable, but a human error would be chalked up to the shipping company, Bargsten said.
Remotely navigating a vessel is still a highly demanding job that could not just be left to “gamers,” he added.
With years of real-life captaining under his belt, Hertoge is convinced it can be successful.
Much of the work of captaining a ship is the same on land as it is in a control room, he said.
The only thing missing is the wind.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his