Taiwan and France held their first ministerial-level economic and trade talks Tuesday, focusing on opportunities for collaboration in the high-tech supply chain, the Ministry of Economics Affairs (MOEA) said yesterday.
At the meeting, initiated by Taiwan, Minister of Economic Affairs Wang Mei-hua (王美花) met with officials from France’s Ministry of Economics and Finance, but the MOEA would not identify the French officials who attended.
It said they discussed possible partnerships in fields such as semiconductors, artificial intelligence, electric vehicles, renewable energy and space industries.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
One area specifically thought to have promise is France’s automotive industry and the ongoing shift toward electric vehicles, which present a promising market for both sides in the field of automotive electronics applications, the ministry said.
Also, Taiwan, known for its information and communication technology industry, has the potential to offer France, a global leader in the space sector, a reliable supply chain of ground satellite equipment, the ministry said.
One possible project is to invite the French satellite industry to expand ground gateways in Taiwan, which will not only enhance Taiwan’s national security but also create commercial opportunities for Taiwanese manufacturers, it said.
Meanwhile, the ministry said Taiwan and France outlined a roadmap for cooperation and planned for the visit of French industry officials to Taiwan in September.
According to MOEA data, bilateral trade between Taiwan and France reached US$6.09 billion last year, the highest level since 1998.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his