US President Joe Biden’s administration is considering blacklisting a number of Chinese semiconductor firms linked to Huawei Technologies Co (華為) after the telecom giant notched a significant technological breakthrough last year, people familiar with the matter said.
Such a move would mark another escalation in a US campaign to ring-fence and curtail Beijing’s artificial intelligence (AI) and semiconductor ambitions. It would ratchet up the pressure on a Chinese national champion that has made advances despite existing sanctions, including producing a smartphone processor last year that many in Washington thought beyond its capabilities.
Most of the Chinese entities that could be affected were previously identified as chipmaking facilities acquired or being built by Huawei in a presentation by the Washington-based trade group Semiconductor Industry Association, people familiar with the matter said.
Photo: Reuters
No final decisions have been made, the people said.
The companies that could be blacklisted include chipmakers SiEn Integrated Circuits Co (芯恩), SwaySure Technology Co (昇維旭) and Pensun Technology Co (鵬新旭), the people said.
US officials are also weighing sanctions on China’s leading memorychip maker Changxin Xinqiao Memory Technologies Inc (CXMT, 長鑫存儲).
“Adding more Chinese companies to the US Entity List is a highly likely event,” Jefferies analyst Edison Lee (李裕生) wrote after CXMT was identified as a potential target. “It is easy to implement and justify, and it will further block certain key Chinese companies from being able to exploit current loopholes in export restrictions.”
Beyond companies that actually produce chips, US officials might also sanction Shenzhen Pengjin High-Tech Co (鵬進) and SiCarrier Technologies Co (新凱來), the people said.
The concern is that those two companies, which make semiconductor manufacturing gear, are acting as proxies to help Huawei obtain restricted equipment, the person said.
It is not clear whether the US Department of Commerce, which administers the so-called entity list, has additional evidence linking the companies to Huawei, the people said.
The US has the authority to sanction businesses that are at risk of harming its national security and officials do not necessarily need to prove past harmful or illegal activity.
The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterated that it “resolutely opposes” US actions that disrupt market order and harms Chinese enterprises, but did not comment specifically on the potential US moves under deliberation.
It is uncertain when US officials would make a final decision, the people said, adding that timing is likely to depend on the status of relations between Washington and Beijing — which both sides have worked to improve in recent months.
US Secretary of the Treasury Janet Yellen is expected to visit China again this year, and top officials have discussed a phone call between Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) this spring.
There are also other policy considerations, such as when the White House would announce a long-awaited adjustment of sweeping China tariffs first imposed under former US president Donald Trump.
Officials are also considering raising duties on older-generation chips from China, according to people familiar with the matter who said those conversations have picked up in the past few weeks.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his