The Smart City Summit & Expo (SCSE) and the Net Zero City Expo kicked off yesterday in Taipei, welcoming approximately 500 foreign guests from 112 cities in 46 countries.
The SCSE is being held for the 11th year, while the Net Zero City Expo is in its second year, jointly welcoming 495 city heads and city administrators from 112 cities and over 1,697 international professional buyers, Paul Peng (彭双浪), chairman of the event organizer Taipei Computer Association (台北市電腦公會), said at the opening ceremony.
The two expositions have been held together since last year, and involve enterprises and government departments sharing how 5G and artificial intelligence of things (AIOT) have been applied to building smarter and cleaner cities, Peng said.
Photo: Ritchie B. Tongo, EPA-EFE
The smart city expo will also take place in Kaohsiung tomorrow, and together the three exhibitions will host more than 600 companies and agencies presenting smart solutions on education, medical services, transportation, security and architecture, representing 13 percent growth from last year, Peng said.
National Development Council Minister Kung Ming-hsin (龔明鑫) said in his opening remarks that Taiwan used to be famous for Computex, the annual computer expo held in Taipei, "as hardware products are Taiwanese companies’ strength."
"Building a smart city involves leaping out of the hardware thinking box and finding solutions for future cities in advance," he said, adding that the goal of reaching net zero in 2050 is another step further in the development process.
The net zero city expo featured a city leaders summit yesterday that included several forums on different topics such as energy transition, just transition, and lifestyle transition.
Forums on net zero transition and global carbon market are to take place today and tomorrow, respectively, at Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center Hall 2.
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort