Japan’s central bank yesterday raised its benchmark interest rate for the first time in 17 years, ending a longstanding policy of negative rates meant to boost the economy.
The Bank of Japan’s lending rate for overnight borrowing by banks was raised to a range of 0 to 0.1 percent from minus-0.1 percent at a policy meeting that confirmed expectations of a shift away from ultra-lax monetary policy.
It was the first rate hike since February 2007. The negative interest rate policy, combined with other measures to inject money into the economy and keep borrowing costs low, “have fulfilled their roles,” Bank of Japan Governor Kazuo Ueda told reporters.
Photo: Reuters
The central bank has an inflation target of 2 percent that it used as a benchmark for whether Japan had finally escaped deflationary tendencies. There was “a positive cycle” of a gradual rise in wages and prices, Ueda said, adding that that monetary policy would remain easy for some time.
Although private-sector banks and other financial organizations will make their own decisions about rates, Ueda said he did not foresee any drastic rises.
The central bank would watch for any big moves in rates, which would cause confusion, he said.
“We made the decision because we foresaw stable and continuous 2 percent inflation,” he said.
Another factor supporting the shift: Japanese companies have announced relatively robust wage hikes for this year’s round of negotiations with trade unions.
Wages and profits at companies were improving, the bank said, in releasing its latest decision, referring to “anecdotal” accounts as well as data it had gathered lately.
“Japan’s economy has recovered moderately,” it said.
Market reaction was muted as the decision had been anticipated after Japanese media reports earlier this week. Tokyo’s benchmark Nikkei 225 index gained about 0.7 percent yesterday, while the US dollar was steady at about ¥150.
Bank officials said they want to make sure inflation is based on domestic factors that can sustain higher wages, not external ones.
The bank likely would not rush to change its overall easy lending framework and would closely monitor prices, analysts said.
The ultra-lax monetary policy also included huge injections of money into the economy through purchases of Japanese government bonds and other assets. The bank would continue with those government bond purchases at a rate of about ¥6 trillion and adjust quickly depending on economic trends, it said.
However, the bank called an end to other unorthodox policies including its yield curve control program, which allows bonds to move in a tight band, and the purchase of exchange-traded funds because they had “fulfilled their roles,” it said.
In its assessment of the economy that the current recovery was based partly on a “materialization of pent-up demand” even as global demand has weakened, the Bank of Japan said.
However, it said that industrial production was stagnant, partly due to cutbacks by vehicle manufacturers.
Housing investment was relatively weak and government spending was “more or less flat,” it said.
Ueda characterized the situation as “less than perfect.”
“Concerning risks to the outlook, there are extremely high uncertainties surrounding Japan’s economic activity and prices,” the bank said.
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his