OpenAI, the firm behind ChatGPT, on Tuesday denied Elon Musk’s accusations of “betrayal” of its original mission and said it would push to have them dismissed in court.
Musk, the boss of Tesla Inc, Space Exploration Technologies Corp (SpaceX) and X, was one of the cofounders of OpenAI in 2015 along with Sam Altman, but left the organization in 2018 and is one of its most vocal critics.
Musk launched a legal case against OpenAI last week, arguing in documents filed in a San Francisco court that the firm was always intended as a nonprofit entity.
Photo: Reuters
“We intend to move to dismiss all of Elon’s claims,” OpenAI and its executives said in a blog post.
OpenAI captured the public imagination in late 2022 with the release of its ChatGPT chatbot, which can generate poems and essays, and even succeed in exams.
The firm started as a nonprofit dedicated to developing artificial general intelligence (AGI), a term loosely defined as a kind of artificial intelligence (AI) that would outstrip human capabilities on all measures of intelligence.
The aim was for OpenAI to guarantee that such technology would be safe for humanity.
OpenAI has received about US$13 billion in investment from Microsoft Corp in the past few years, and both companies market AI services to developers and individuals.
On Tuesday, Altman and other executives from the Silicon Valley start-up detailed their counterarguments, with supporting e-mails.
“We’re sad that it’s come to this with someone whom we’ve deeply admired — someone who inspired us to aim higher, then told us we would fail, started a competitor, and then sued us when we started making meaningful progress towards OpenAI’s mission without him,” they said in the blog post.
In 2017, “we all understood we were going to need a lot more capital to succeed at our mission — billions of dollars per year, which was far more than any of us, especially Elon, thought we’d be able to raise as the non-profit,” they added.
The following year, Musk suggested in an e-mail that OpenAI be attached “to Tesla as its cash cow,” they said.
However, in the face of refusal from the team, Musk “soon chose to leave OpenAI, saying that our probability of success was 0,” adding he planned to build an AGI competitor within Tesla, they said.
“When he left in late February 2018, he told our team he was supportive of us finding our own path to raising billions of dollars,” the OpenAI blog post said.
Altman and his colleagues also said that their company is providing free AI access to organizations and countries, including Albania, which “is using OpenAI’s tools to accelerate its EU accession by as much as 5.5 years.”
MULTIFACETED: A task force has analyzed possible scenarios and created responses to assist domestic industries in dealing with US tariffs, the economics minister said The Executive Yuan is tomorrow to announce countermeasures to US President Donald Trump’s planned reciprocal tariffs, although the details of the plan would not be made public until Monday next week, Minister of Economic Affairs J.W. Kuo (郭智輝) said yesterday. The Cabinet established an economic and trade task force in November last year to deal with US trade and tariff related issues, Kuo told reporters outside the legislature in Taipei. The task force has been analyzing and evaluating all kinds of scenarios to identify suitable responses and determine how best to assist domestic industries in managing the effects of Trump’s tariffs, he
TIGHT-LIPPED: UMC said it had no merger plans at the moment, after Nikkei Asia reported that the firm and GlobalFoundries were considering restarting merger talks United Microelectronics Corp (UMC, 聯電), the world’s No. 4 contract chipmaker, yesterday launched a new US$5 billion 12-inch chip factory in Singapore as part of its latest effort to diversify its manufacturing footprint amid growing geopolitical risks. The new factory, adjacent to UMC’s existing Singapore fab in the Pasir Res Wafer Fab Park, is scheduled to enter volume production next year, utilizing mature 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer process technologies, UMC said in a statement. The company plans to invest US$5 billion during the first phase of the new fab, which would have an installed capacity of 30,000 12-inch wafers per month, it said. The
‘SWASTICAR’: Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s close association with Donald Trump has prompted opponents to brand him a ‘Nazi’ and resulted in a dramatic drop in sales Demonstrators descended on Tesla Inc dealerships across the US, and in Europe and Canada on Saturday to protest company chief Elon Musk, who has amassed extraordinary power as a top adviser to US President Donald Trump. Waving signs with messages such as “Musk is stealing our money” and “Reclaim our country,” the protests largely took place peacefully following fiery episodes of vandalism on Tesla vehicles, dealerships and other facilities in recent weeks that US officials have denounced as terrorism. Hundreds rallied on Saturday outside the Tesla dealership in Manhattan. Some blasted Musk, the world’s richest man, while others demanded the shuttering of his
Taiwan’s official purchasing managers’ index (PMI) last month rose 0.2 percentage points to 54.2, in a second consecutive month of expansion, thanks to front-loading demand intended to avoid potential US tariff hikes, the Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) said yesterday. While short-term demand appeared robust, uncertainties rose due to US President Donald Trump’s unpredictable trade policy, CIER president Lien Hsien-ming (連賢明) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s economy this year would be characterized by high-level fluctuations and the volatility would be wilder than most expect, Lien said Demand for electronics, particularly semiconductors, continues to benefit from US technology giants’ effort